Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chev drag crash

Car builder: FAIL. If seatbelts WERE installed, they were obviously not installed correctly (possibly just bolted through sheetmetal of the floor. No good.)

Car driver: FAIL. It's good to know when to back off, and to have the reflexes to quit before it's too late.

Pre-race inspection: FAIL. Any competent tech inspector won't let a car run ANYWHERE with no belts, or improperly installed belts.

What?? No seatbelts and no fireproof suite? Only jeans and t-shirt and a helmet as clothing, where is this legally run motorsport today?

If a car runs 12.00 or less no extra saftey equipment besides factory equipped seat belts and a current, I think Snell 2010 or newer, is required. If a car runs faster than 11.99, roll bar, fire jacket and 5 point harness is required, with same year of helmet.

Yep it's a sad video for sure. But as there seems to be no prepping done on that "Drag Strip", with cars like that you don't have to be a real genius to figure it out that it will be slippery, which of course means that the driver must be prepared to lift up the throttle when there's not enough traction on higher speeds. Especially because those Drag Slicks don't really work when moving sideways...

I've couple of times went a bit sideways in slow speeds with the '74 Chevelle that runs in Stock Eliminator and I think it's very important to know when to lift up the throttle. In slow speeds it's not always necessary (With our car anyway), but when it starts sliding in higher speeds, it's important to lift the throttle. As a Drag Racer, I know that it's not always the thing you'll want to do, but I rather lift the throttle a bit, straighten up the car and step on it again than see this happen.