Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda - Lime Light - Finished Pics

RandyB.

Thanks guys for all of the great comments on this topic and all the individual input which helped me build this kit. Tim (funman), thanks for all the information you provided regarding the elastomeric bumpers...it was really appreciated!

Roger....I have looked at this model from several angles and compared it to the 1:1 vehicle pics that I have and I cannot really see the difference you mentioned....if there is a difference it's negligible. The front end might of looked stubbier because of the angle, lighting and the way the camera saw that particular picture you commented on. I still think Revell did a excellent job on replicating this one. Now if we could get a decent '70 Dodge Challenger from them that would be great!

Randy....glad to have helped out, and as many others have said, great result!

As for the body proportions....all the points you make above correctly reflect the difficulty in comparing a model car body to a 1.1 original. When I did my 1/1 to 1/25th scale comparison, I used the same camera lense and same lense setting (other than to adjust for lighting differences), and the body does look somewhat closer to the real thing than in the comparison shots above (great side view profile photo from the internet, btw!).

With apologies who might have seen my opinion on this subject already posted, I don't believe the Revell body is perfect by any means, but I do believe it is a very workable effort and that for all but the most ardent purist, it will get the job done. I would like to see Revell correct some of the items that have been noted here and elsewhere, starting with the overly-flared wheel lips, then the drip rail molding engraving and hard-intersection at the C-pillar (as pointed out by Bill G.), and moving on to about ten other items - mostly minor; some more involved. One addition that would seem to me to be very easy would be to add the racetrack moldings around the rear tailamp cove. Randy, you did a superb job replicating that with BareMetal, but it is a very difficult task (I did the same operation on my original build which has not yet been published). Adding the engraved molding would not only help with the BareMetal, but would also help with the masking operation to apply the Organisol Black insert.

If someone could send me the link to the discussion on this subject at the other board (referenced above), I'd appreciate seeing what others have to say about this subject.

Happy Holidays all! TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Thanks again everyone for the great comments and for following my topic. It was a blast building it. Finished it in record time because I'm on vacation for two weeks and with the weather like it has been it has given time to work on it. I think this car will look even better once I get the white lettered tire decals on it......I will post a few pics of that once they arrive and I have them applied. I'm looking forward to starting the 2nd Cuda in Tor-Red. It will have a white interior and sport the chrome bumpers front and back. So watch for that one!

Cheers!

Randy

Edited by RandyB.

Thanks again everyone for the great comments and for following my topic. It was a blast building it. Finished it in record time because I'm on vacation for two weeks and with the weather like it has been it has given time to work on it. I think this car will look even better once I get the white lettered tire decals on it......I will post a few pics of that once they arrive and I have them applied. I'm looking forward to starting the 2nd Cuda in Tor-Red. It will have a white interior and sport the chrome bumpers front and back. So watch for that one!

Cheers!

Randy

Randy I started about the same time on mine as you did yours. I am just a wee bit behind you! It is helping though with build tips as I work on mine.