Model Cars Magazine Forum

whats your model building resolution for 2013

I resolve to get this ECTO 1A that I am converting into a hearse done...FINALLY. The rear corner windows haven't been measure twice, cut once. They have been fill with sheet plastic once, putty and sand 10 times to get it right. HAHA

Otherwise, I am hoping to get started on a project that makes it on here as my first under Pickups On the Workbench. I just have a real problem with the motivation to take a lot of pictures because I don't really have anywhere inside to make a photobooth.

I resolve to spend more time working on models! I've gotten more done in this past quarter than in the previous few years. All because I resolved to spend an hour or two a day in the model room. I've found that spending a little time each day moves things along and does wonders for my psyche too!

I resolve to spend more time working on models! I've gotten more done in this past quarter than in the previous few years. All because I resolved to spend an hour or two a day in the model room. I've found that spending a little time each day moves things along and does wonders for my psyche too!

Well said, Tom - I've long been an advocate of that approach. I think it's sometimes too easy to take an "all or nothing" attitude, which becomes counter-productive. I've found that it also helps me to have a specific plan or at least a good idea of exactly what I'm going to work on in that hour or two.

finish a model before starting two more

This says it all for me.

I have about 15 unfinished builds around and packed up.

I'm starting to repair some that was one my car hauler when it hit the floor.

I would like to get them back together then start on my unfinished builds.

1)To finish more than the one model I finished this year.

2)To increase my model building skills.You'd think after building off and on for more than 50 years I'd have caught on to more but it hasn't happened yet.Slow learner I guess.

3)To re-organize the model cave.It needs a paint rack change and some shelving moved around (to facilitate storage for more kits!).

4) To have my wish to see NNL East fulfilled.Our club is talking about a group trip there.I hope we can make it happen.

Hi,

I actually didn't buy any kits the last two years - a pact with my kids to cut down on the kits piling up, I would been fined if I bought anything! So I might buck the trend here and buy one or two kits. Stacey David's 32 and the Revell '62 Corvette are calling out to me. I also might get some kits to donate parts to projects as well.

To get more done - I completed two this year and have done quite a bit on a conversion and detailed build I'm doing so have done better than the last few years.

I like the idea of regular visits of a medium length duration as suggested in this thread so that'd be a good resolution as well.

To use this forum more as well - its a good one!

Cheers,

Jim

I definitely agree with Tom Geiger... Spend some time each day, be it an hour or several hours, on the project at hand, and before you know it the project is completed. I work on completing at least a couple of assemblies or detailing tasks at each bench session and usually can leave the workbench each day with a positive feeling of accomplishment.

I understand that not everyone can spend time at their workbench every day due to work/family/life in general, but, I'm retired so I have the advantage of lots of "free time".

Indeed. Or four or five more.....!

finish a model before starting two more

To actually finish something. In 2012, I bought roughly 65 kits (new + old).

In 2012 I've bought more than 50 kits and have been able to finish maybe 3... School and work got in a way so hopefully next year I can make the most of my time off and actually build a few before buying/starting 15 more.

to keep building some bad-ass hotrods but on the other hand continue my garage diorama that has been sitting for a few months now ..

and about the spend some time every day .. some people asked me how doo you build so fast ?? well i'm one of those guys who spends some time every day and like said above somtimes 1 hour every day will get you somewhere rather quick (result wise) :)