Model Cars Magazine Forum

'37 Ford 4x4 Back on the bench 12/30

I like the look of the '37, but around here 4 wheel drive rules the back roads. So I came up with the idea of combining Revells '37 Ford pickup with Linndbergs 4x4 flare side F150.

First, the F150 frame required some "minor surgery".
37FORD_10.jpg
Almost there:
37FORD_11.jpg

Here's the frame, shortened 3/8" at the rear with the spring shackles moved forward about 1/4". The motor mounts were also moved up and back, as the body sits high on the frame.
37FHT_11.jpg

To support the bed, it was necessary to add cross bracing. In true mountain man fashion, this was accomplished with some stout timber and lag bolts.
37FHT_02.jpg
The "lag bolts" are 1mm simulated bolts from Scale Hardware.
37FHT_01.jpg

Now the bed (still under construction) has a nice solid foundation.
37FHT_03.jpg

I'll be adding angle iron brackets between the frame and the cross beams, but I haven't decided if they should be bolted or welded to the frame. Opinions?

More coming soon.

Edited by Shardik

Joe: Good call on the washers. I can probably punch some out of foil that will look O.K.. Thanks.

Gluhead: I'm not familiar with the Marmon Herington. Any links handy? Hope you enjoy the ride, It should be fun.

Todd: I'm not so much going for a hot rod look as just something that a mountain boy with more resourcefullness than resources might cobble together. ie...Function over style.

James: I saw the Hermits' huntin' truck while I was looking for ideas for this project. I have in mind something very similar, yet slightly more "refined" (refinement being a relative concept :rolleyes: )

P.S.; Thanks for checking out the '48. Glad you liked it.

Marmon-Herrington was the company that provided all wheel drive conversions for Ford. Ford didn't produce their own 4x4's from the factory until 1959.

Check this out. M-H is a little over halfway down the page. Lots of good info and pics of other makes as well. http://www.therangerstation.com/resources/history_of_4x4.htm

A small update. I finished the new bed, complete with peeling chrome on the rails, weathered wood and flaking varnish. This latter doesn't show up too well in the pictures; I'll have to work on my lighting set up.

IMG_1123.jpg

Here's a closer look at the "cairrage bolts" (.5mm rivets from Scale Hardware)

IMG_1124.jpg

A look from the Ausie side.

IMG_1125.jpg

And here's one for you, Joe. Washers punched from .005" styrene. (My foil was too thin)

IMG_1122.jpg

More coming soon. I finished the angle iron brackets last night, and started work on the shock mounts.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Lookin' good, Johann. The washers made all the difference in the world there. Planking looks good, too. Getting a realistic finish on engraved wood is something the eludes me. I have to get rid of it and replace it with the real stuff, or it just ends up looking like I smeared peanut butter on it. :D

With the lighting thing, you'd be surprised at how much light a digital camera can eat up. I snap my pics right on my desk, with the normal room overhead, and two desk lamps with 60w bulbs about a foot off to each side. The trick for me is to diffuse the desk lamps with a sheet of lightweight copier paper taped up in front of the bulbs. Super high tech! Haha! My camera is far from the latest-greatest (coolpix 210), but if I give it enough light, it does pretty okay.

Edited by Gluhead

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update, as bench time has been minimal lately:

First, rear brake lines installed

IMG_1128.jpg

Next, a little demonstration of my multi-layered weathering technique.

After a coat of Allclad steel, I apply artists oils in various rust shades then seal it all with Tamiya flat clear.

Over this will be applied a coat of hairspray followed by an acrylic top coat, which I will chip away with a wet paint brush, exposing both rust and bare steel to represent fresh chips and scratches.

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

I hope to make more progress this week, since things are slowing down at work (O.T. is now limited to 8 hrs./week).

Feel free to critique, cajole, condemn, or just chime in.

As promised, more progress.

I got the body painted and WEATHERED. Actually, it's a little more weathered than I originally intended but I was having so much fun I got a little carried away :rolleyes: .

The first two shots include Roxanne the mule, which my daughter sculpted for me. I'm going to have fun painting her.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

The cab, hood and grille are just set in place at this point.

By the way, I plagiarized the grille treatment from someone else on this forum, and I can't remember who originated it. If anybody can clue me in, I'd like to give credit where due.

I'm also thinking of adding some screen material either in front of, or behind the bars. What do you guys think?

I'm also thinking of adding some screen material either in front of, or behind the bars. What do you guys think?

Yes please do. In my opinion this grill has a Max Max feel to it, not "weathered hot rod". Remember 1mm = 1 scale inch so those grill bars are as big as a tailpipe, which doesn't look in scale. Maybe down size to 1/16" rod and add a few more?

Yes please do. In my opinion this grill has a Max Max feel to it, not "weathered hot rod". Remember 1mm = 1 scale inch so those grill bars are as big as a tailpipe, which doesn't look in scale. Maybe down size to 1/16" rod and add a few more?

I appreciate the feedback, Jantrix, but I think the poor quality of the photo is fooling your eye; Those are 1/16" rods :lol: . I agree with the "Mad Max" comparison, though. So I guess I'll be screening in the grill.

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

that is looking very cool.. where did you get the small detail stuff from ( like the fly swatter and ETC. )

The flyswatter and the clip board came from The Model Car Garage. They have various sets of photo etched "interior junk" which include things like cassette tapes, sun glasses, tools and handcuffs. (look in the interior details section)

The shovel is from Scale Equipment Ltd.; A great source for resin diorama details.

The book was cut down from one I found in the doll house section at Hobby Lobby.

The rope is waxed chord used for sewing leather.

The hay bale is Woodland Scenics dry meadow grass wrapped around a scratch built form.

The hay hooks were scratch built from music wire and styrene rod.

The sack of McGreuder's Llama-Vite became an obsession in itself :lol: . I examined hundreds of fabric samples, searching for the right weave in the right scale and the right color :blink: . I finally found this pocket lining material, and set to work with a fine needle and thread and stuffed it with coarse sea salt after applying the logo with a very fine tipped marker.

@Josh: Thanks.