Model Cars Magazine Forum

need Tip's on transporting model's to show's

Hello all ,

I usually take my models in the clear display cases , wired tied the models to base . My issues , this way I take them breaks down my models chassis and very time consuming to setup and cleanup at shows . I build 1/24 scale models , usually travel from 45 minutes to 2 hours , once took a 5 hour trip .

> how do you guys transport models to shows safely ?

> any tips , materials , stores ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated , two shows coming up in april and may , want to take alot of models .

I don't transport any of mine in cases, but for the ones not in cases, I use an appropriate size box and put a couple of layers of cotton t-shirts on the bottom and around the sides. It supports the model without breaking the wheels off, they won't move or tip over in a panick stop, and the shirts won't scratch the paint. I don't let the shirts touch fragile parts like mirrors or mud flaps on big rigs.

i like using baseball card storage boxes. just place the model in a clear plastic bag and cut foam to fit around the model. you'll have to take note about small parts that could easily get knocked off like mirrors & antennas when packing foam. the downside to this is only cars and pickups that are not jacked up will fit in these boxes.

I bring mine to shows in model kit boxes. I generally center the car in the box and then put packing peanuts all around the it to keep it in place. Then I stack the boxes in a xerox paper box, which gets carefully put in the car in a position that it won't move. Never had a problem. Just don't shake them!

i like using baseball card storage boxes. just place the model in a clear plastic bag and cut foam to fit around the model. you'll have to take note about small parts that could easily get knocked off like mirrors & antennas when packing foam. the downside to this is only cars and pickups that are not jacked up will fit in these boxes.

I second this emotion! However, rather than putting the model in a plastic bag, I place the car, on its wheels in the box, and then use pieces of tee-shirt knit cotton (AKA Cotton Tricot) which you can get as cleaning rags in a lot of stores, or just cut up old tee-shirts) to pad gently around the model, sides, ends and a soft roll of the stuff on the hood and rear deck. I use this whenever I travel by air with model cars, simply packing the models I am taking in a fairly large backpack (the one I use when biking to work and such)--they sail right through TSA's scanners, with nary a question (but often lots of favorable comment from the people doing the scanning!). Only problem with this is that some cars are too tall for this sort of box, so a similar, but taller box, called a "mailer" gets a call there.

Art

I pack my models in the model boxes and surround the model with wadded paper towels to keep them from moving. I pack them all (usually only 4 at the most) in a large shopping bag. I also bring along any raised display platforms and mirrors to display the models on. I also bring along a plastic bag (an Emergency repair kit - in case any parts come off intransit) with a bottle of CA glue, some toothpicks, a tweezer and a gentle brush to dust off any lint or dusties which may be on the model. I also bring along a pen (to fill out the model entry forms) and my digital camera with extra batteries to take pictures of the models at the show. Oh, and I also bring along some cash for the entry fees, anything I might buy from the vendors, and food & drinks.