Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aside from the recent AMT coupe, are there any other early Mustang coupes ?

AMT did only the '66 as a kit, though they made the '65 as a promo also. AMT also did a 1:16th '65. Revell did '69 and '70 convertibles w/ separate roofs to do as coupes back in '69/70. There have been some in resin...I have a nice '67 ht from Motor City Resin Casters, AF/X N Scale resin did a '69, Bandit Resins did a '70.

Edited by Rob Hall

As I remember it, AMT did a 1964 Mustang. Could have been a 65. It was a convertible with the notchback top included. One had to glue it on, and it had vinyl roof texture. This is the box I had.

Yes, they did the original '66 that way also...convertible w/ separate ht roof. The '66 ht as we have it now didn't come about until the Countdown series release.

The Revell '69 and '70 Grande bodies seem to be well proportioned at first glance, but the convertible-with-a-separate-hardtop-roof-section makes for a lot of modifying. :( The box art is great, though. :D

69granderevell1.jpg

70grandeRevell1.jpg

70grandeRevell.jpg

I think this is the AF/X body, which I have recently seen on a certain auction 'site, too:

resin69grande.jpg

If you're feeling adventuresome, PM me your address and accept the challenge ^_^ :

IMG_6900.jpg

Having recently completed the restoration of a 1967 Mustang Coupe Shelby Trans Am race car in 1:1

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67624

and having plans for building a few in scale, I can give you a little advice on building these.

100_9704.jpg

Yeah, those 1966_Mustang_Coupe_Vintage_Race_Car_Rear

To build an A/ Sedan 65-66 Mustang like this one, use the AMT 66 Mustang notchback/Coupe body shell; Inner fender panels, core support and firewall from the AMT 67 Mustang Fastback or GT350; chassis, engine, trans, suspension, interior from the same 67; wheels and tires from a Revell race Corvette or 32 Ford hotrod or several other recent Revell kits. Fabricate the roll cage or roll bar (depending on what era you want to represent...through 67, most had roll bars, 68 and later most had cages...Fuel cells came into requirements at that time too). Monogram 65 GT350 roll bar is fine (IIRC), but needs more braces. Roll bars and cages for these should be made of 2mm or .080 rod/tube to represent 2" OD tubing. Look at the full size Mustang photos at the above link for roll bar/cage design. Exhaust is EZ with1/8" to 5/32" tube. Straps to support the pipes to the floor should be 1" x 1/8" strap bolted through the floor. .040 x .010 plastic strip will do well enough for that. They should come to the side between the back of the door and the front of the tire.

and how about a California Special ?68_MustangGT-CaliforniaSpecial_Pic2.jpg

For a GTCS, AMT 66 Mustang notchback/Coupe roof and rear deck; main body shell from AMT 68 Mustang GT500 -cut at inside of rear fender top edges, front of roof, and just in front of rear spoiler. Rest of the car: chassis engine, trans, suspension, interior from same 67; wheels and tires for stock from your pick of Mustang or Torino kits from 67-69.

I always thought it was a shame Ford didn't homologate the GTCS bodywork for the 68 Trans Am cars. So if you choose to do a phantom Trans Am GTCS, see the race prep info for the early Mustang above.

The Revell 68 fastback kit will serve well for Chassis and some body parts for this also.