Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Rik Hoving '40

Lyle Willits

Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Md.'s resin '40 Ford kit, mastered by Rik Hoving. NOT included in the kit are the skirts that I added and also the "bubble" for the spare tire in the trunk lid. I was going for a late 40's/early 50's style custom. The kit includes smoothed running boards but I used the Revell kit pieces, unpainted, to simulate white rubber covered boards.

DSCN0901-vi.jpg

DSCN0904-vi.jpg

I added tuck & roll inserts to the seats and used blue beading wire for the piping. The dash is detailed with Model Car Garage photoetch.

DSCN0906-vi.jpg

DSCN0910-vi.jpg

Flathead is pretty much out of the Revell box.

DSCN0909-vi.jpg

Aluminum sombrero caps are from Bob Dudek with resin Caddy crests added. Bumperettes were cut from '41 Lincoln bumpers.

DSCN0911-vi.jpg

Thanks to Rik Hoving and Norm Veber for the excellent resin kit.

BTW, what color is that?

Paint is Duplicolor medium blue metallic. It started out as HOK light teal pearl, but somehow, the hood came out 10 times darker than the rest of the model. I have no idea why. So, I had to repaint the whole thing with the Dup. paint.

See,,,,,even us old pharts, who have been doing this forever, still screw up the paint once in awhile. :)

Paint is Duplicolor medium blue metallic. It started out as HOK light teal pearl, but somehow, the hood came out 10 times darker than the rest of the model. I have no idea why. So, I had to repaint the whole thing with the Dup. paint.

See,,,,,even us old pharts, who have been doing this forever, still screw up the paint once in awhile. :rolleyes:

Thanks Lyle, I really love the color. Sorry about the HOK paint man... I know the feeling, there is no rational explanation for that to happen, but you really managed to get the good out of the bad. ;)

Lyle, I am a certified died in the wool '40 Ford NUT. You did a beautiful job on this model. It has the right stuff to achieve the absolute right on look you intended to achieve. Way to go. And, I never knew the '40 Ford Convertible had the "hump" for the spare on the trunk. Great touch.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Beautiful build,Lyle. I built this one right when the ProModeler 40 came out using the R+Mof Md Duvall windsheild. This windsheild was intended for use with a highly modified AMT 40, but dropped onto the revell cowl.

m-white40-vi.jpg

Riks customization work is beautiful(as always) and you did a fine job finishing it with your own personal touches.

That's a sweet kruzers Lyle ! the bump on the trunk is a kool feature...i like it ! :)

I don't know why, but i love metallic blue 40's ! ;)

Ps : I may be a fool, but i don't see any of Rik's features ? can you tell me what he had changed ? I know he's the guy for subtility and to say the truth i havent notice anything on his coupe before i saw the changes process on his fotki... :huh:

That's a sweet kruzers Lyle ! the bump on the trunk is a kool feature...i like it ! :angry:

I don't know why, but i love metallic blue 40's ! ;)

Ps : I may be a fool, but i don't see any of Rik's features ? can you tell me what he had changed ? I know he's the guy for subtility and to say the truth i havent notice anything on his coupe before i saw the changes process on his fotki... ;)

Rik smoothed and peaked the hood, filled the cowl and made the Duvall windshield. He also modified the door tops and the interior panels and made smooth running boards (not used on my model). You 're right - Rik's custom work is often very subtle.