Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Franklin Mint 1934 Chrysler Airflow coupe

jeffs396

Here's how it looked when I got it...some paint damage, and a broken RF axle end:

IMG_9680.jpg

IMG_9684.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg

Someone must have used a spray electronics cleaner of some sort, leaving the plastic underhood items and the paint damaged...the perfect candidate for a restomod! And for just $21.25 shipped :)

IMG_9685.jpg

A quick removal of some bumpers and stock wheels, and a mock-up showing the potential of this diecast :wub:

IMG_9687.jpg

Next up...disassemble & strip the paint!

thats way kool. a very similar car was parked on the street in los angeles near a friend of mines house. i often looked at it and wondered how it would look all lowered down and widened out a little. i didnt even know what it was, really, and still not positive, but that sure looks very similar at least.

I'd be up for a resin-body Airflow (cough, cough). I've never seen this Franklin model. I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for one now.

Yeah, I'd be down for one.

Here's my dilemma with casting this though...I'm more than willing to hand this off to someone for reproduction, but look at the parts breakdown:

IMG_9710.jpg

As you can see, the roof requires an insert, it has opening doors & trunk, its got LOTS of grooves in the body for trim and side vents, etc. And supposedly these were unibody, yet Franklin mint tooled up a separate ladder type frame :huh:

Sooo, how would builders want it?

-Stock (as-is)

-Semi-custom (as in roof insert and side vents filled, doors molded shut)

-Full-on custom (this is where personal preference would come into play, as I'd like to alter some from stock, like, as Rob said, the headlights for one thing)

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Full-on custom, body only. Filled roof/doors shut, Jimmy Flintstone style. It would cost less for someone to buy another kit for chassis and interior than to buy a complete resin kit...or just use parts from

If anyone wants a stocker, they can get the metal original off eBay.

That sure would be a cool resin body.

BTW I just noticed that I did a terrible job of editing my earlier post on the phone. That unfinished sentence should read "...or just use parts from the stash."

I did not go to the race. The old friend with the extra ticket sent a text on Friday night asking if I still wanted to go, then I never heard back from him. He's back to "a guy I know" status.

Full-on custom, body only. Filled roof/doors shut, Jimmy Flintstone style. It would cost less for someone to buy another kit for chassis and interior than to buy a complete resin kit...or just use parts from

If anyone wants a stocker, they can get the metal original off eBay.

Jimmy Flintstone already casts such an animal- it's a full on custom Airflow with a sealed hood and the windows cast shut called the Rareflow. It was also sold as a Testors/Model Master kit. It has a really goofy looking roof, but if you replaced it with a more conventional looking roof it would work great for a custom Airflow.