Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring 70 1/2 Camaro *First post here*

ll Brandon ll

Brandon.

If it were me I would get the primer as smooth as possible before I sprayed the undercoat. Then if after the undercoat's dry, if it's not gonna be smooth enough, I'd wetsand it with like a 2000 or 2500 grit paper and hit it again with basecoat. Then it should be ready to go for the color.

Corey

I agree

....After you clean up the spoiler a bit more on the back end of the car....NICE SO FAR MAN!

I agree with this too. The rear end could use a little more attention I think.

Edit: I don't mean to take away from the work you have already done. You have done a wonderful job and have done a lot of work. It's looking great so far.

Edited by BluePopsicle

Lookin good so far Brandon.

What color is that?

I use Testors Lacquer AMC Sterling Silver Metallic sometimes, and it looks ALOT like what you have there. I HAD to sand that stuff down before I painted over it on my Charger build. Didn't have a choice, as it has a texture to it. Just wondering if your's is the same way.

Corey

This is Krylon brilliant silver. I has a touch of texture to it, but its not raised to the point of causing any sort of visual problem. It just adds a cool effect to it, almost like a foil. I look awesome in person. And th ebest part is in dries in about 15 minutes. With your tips, it came out awesome I think. And I didnt have to sand it at all. I sanded the primer with 800 grit until it was smooth and laid down the coat you see. I actually got the color laid down using your advice and it came out soooo smooth. I tested a hood from a parts kit and I can sand the clear red glass smooth, now I just need to get something to polish it with. I can put up pics if you want to see it, but I wanted to hold off until tomorrow to get some sunlight pics.

Edited by ll Brandon ll

Really rolling along here. Got the color laid down last night. Only one coat, but it was a wet coat. Im happy with the color but it will need a clear coat since I dont want to polish the clear red. Anyway, here ya go. I am very happy with the results. Thanks for looking, comments and criticism always welcome and appreciated.

stp61399.jpg

stp61400.jpg

stp61402.jpg

stp61404.jpg

stp61405.jpg

stp61406.jpg

stp61409.jpg

stp61410.jpg

stp61411.jpg

stp61413.jpg

Perfect color choice Brandon! Looks great, but let's be honest, your really project is the spongebob car isn't it? It's cool, you don't have to hide it anymore, cats outa the bag...lol. Keep it going man, you really are on a roll with this.

Perfect color choice Brandon! Looks great, but let's be honest, your really project is the spongebob car isn't it? It's cool, you don't have to hide it anymore, cats outa the bag...lol. Keep it going man, you really are on a roll with this.

Dang! You caught me... I just cant hide it anymore, LOL!

I dropped another coat on, it darkened the color abit, which Im ok with because it was looking kinda orange and I wanted a deep red. Thanks for checking it out!

After one more coat of clear read... gave it the depth I was wanting. And this is with no clear.

stp61416.jpg

stp61417.jpg

stp61418.jpg

stp61415.jpg

Out of curiousity, whats the best way to fix panel fitment after paint? It seems my paint has made my hood a VERY tight fit. I plan to paint the underside of the hood black, so should I just sand the sides/edges down to plastic?

Thats what I would do Brandon.

Make sure your paint is 100% gassed out before trying this or you could leave tape lines in your new paint, but burnish the tape over the top edges of the hood so you dont have paint bleed under the tape. And just paint it when you shoot the bottom of the hood. Or you could do it with a brush using the side of the bristles.

Corey

Great paint work! that extra coat of red really gives the color a nice depth, for the hood i would recommend sanding the sides lightly with 600 or 800 grit paper until it fits again and then "paint" the edges black with a sharpie so you don't have any build up again from the black, I've used this trick lots of times and it works great.

I love the integration of the rear spoiler, and that color just POPS! Looks super-cool so far! :)

Great paint work! that extra coat of red really gives the color a nice depth, for the hood i would recommend sanding the sides lightly with 600 or 800 grit paper until it fits again and then "paint" the edges black with a sharpie so you don't have any build up again from the black, I've used this trick lots of times and it works great.

That is a great tip! B)

Well, I hit a HUGE set back. I was trying to get the chassis finished up and get some things finalized and when I was working on the inside of the body, some of my bodywork on the roll pan area cracked. So, I have to strip the body, fix that area, and repaint. I also notice my hood scoop bowed in, which made it so my engine wouldnt fit. So, that has to be stripped and redone. And honestly, the more Ive messed around with this model, the less happy I am with the chassis. So, a rework may be happening there too.

So, basically Im thinking Imma have to pretty much start over on this thing. Ugh....

Man, that really blows. I know how you feel, I'm going through some similar problems on a 57 Belair I'm working on. Just think of it as a trial run. Now go back, fix the f-ups , and the 2nd time around will come out looking even better then the first. Good luck with it, keep us up to date.

That really sucks man. I had a similar problem with my Shelby. I was sanding the clear coat and ended up sanding through the color really badly. At that point, I had to strip the paint and start over again from scratch. I feel your pain. Jason is right though. The second time will probably be better then your first.