Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 57 Chevy Turbo ProMod (03-14-13) Finished Bull-Horns with V-band clamps

Prostreet

Hi fellas, Been lurking for a while and finally decided to post a build. This is my first time building a full tube chassis and doing alot of scratch building, I put in a order to Terry at flashpoint for the 57 Promod and his other various parts. This where i'm at now , I would like to Thank Bart(eviltwincustoms) for his help. I have been messaging back and forth with him and he has been a big help in getting me started on building the chassis. Hope to have most of the interior cage done tommarrow. I also hope to have Jim(micronitro) do some wheels for me i picked out.

398601113.jpg

398601115.jpg

Edited by Prostreet

sweet..

Thx.

Joe....nice start, I will be keeping an eye on this build up especially since you are doing turbos 80 mm I presume?

Thx. Bart , maybe 98's lol hopefully i can build them. TDR makes 1/18 turbos, Thinking about contacting him to see if he can scale a set down to 1/16th

Hi Joe, Look forward to following along!

Randy

Thx. for following

I don't actually know, how it is in the States, but here in Europe drivers have gone real fast, 5,9 and 5,8 times, few times. So to the next season of Pro Modified, they have decided to lower the RPM on those blown methanol engines, without NOS. So they wouldn't be that fast. Personally I don't understand, why, but maybe that's for some safety "problems". So maybe there comes more cars with huge engine with NOS, without blower, and these cars with Twin Turbo. Here in Finland, we have one Pro Modified car with 899" Cid. engine, and from Sweden, we had two Twin Turbo cars driving. They both were really wild, well, other one was pretty close of hitting a wall, but other one had bit traction problems on the start.

Your project looks really cool, that body is just typical '57 Pro Mod body, very aerodynamic, but presonally I prefer one which is not so aerodynamic, because that's for those who don't have enough power. :lol:

Joe nice to see you posting, man i been looking at that body too! I'm diging the turbo idle. The frame is coming togother nice, i know it's will be a sweet build. If i can help you in any may ---- well u no :D man i'll be looking in all the time.

Thanks for showing your started.

Joe nice to see you posting, man i been looking at that body too! I'm diging the turbo idle. The frame is coming togother nice, i know it's will be a sweet build. If i can help you in any may ---- well u no :D man i'll be looking in all the time.

Thanks for showing your started.

Thx. Derrick, i have been taking lots of notes on your build as well as other.

Hey Joe..... this a great start on this build. I will be following it for sure. look forward to more progress pics of it.

Thx. Chris and thanks for following.

Just a little update, Didn't get to much done today because i was splitting and stacking wood for winter today. So here is a small update, will have another one before i goto bed tonight. I decided to go with a square motor plate as opposed to the other style because it was easier to make, Next build i will try the other style.

398629123.jpg

Joe, LOOKING GOOD!

Here is a reference pic for you. This guys car the firewall looks pretty shallow, but it will give you some reference for the front section.

As an FYI for some measurements to help with the front build out, my suggestion is to put the body back on the chassis and identify where your center lines are for the front and rear wheels keeping the 100" minimum - 115" Max distance. This will help you determine where your rear end will line up and the front spindles will layout on your board.

Then from there you can either mount the motor timing chain at that center point or set it back no more than 10% of the total vehicle wheel base measured off of the centerline of front spindle to the center of front spark plug hole.

Using these measurements, it will help you better determine if your Firewall is ok as is or if it needs to be set back some more.

promod-4.jpg

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Thx. Bart, There are so many darn chassis styles and pictures to look at i didn't know what i wanted to use. I'm pretty much using ideas from all different chassis setups. My chassis won't be 100% accurate but it's turning out much better than i thought it would. Really couldn't find to many detailed 57 chevy pictures. when i had everything lined up with the body on and motor at the firewall it seems like it should work out ok. Really don't want to tear it back apart lol. this one is more of a learning experience, terry from flashpoint said he is working on a 68 camaro promod, that will be my next one and will try to do it 100% accurate.

Edited by Prostreet

Thx. Bart, There are so many darn chassis styles and pictures to look at i didn't know what i wanted to use. I'm pretty much using ideas from all different chassis setups. My chassis won't be 100% accurate but it's turning out much better than i thought it would. Really couldn't find to many detailed 57 chevy pictures. when i had everything lined up with the body on and motor at the firewall it seems like it should work out ok. Really don't want to tear it back apart lol.

I agree, that is with any body and chassis manufacturer that you look at. I think the biggest thing will be determining your center lines for your axle and spindles. This will help you set up your engine block as to where it should be mounted.

This is where I had to redo my chassis a couple times to get the firewall proportioned to where the motor was suppose to call home.

i'd like to offer a piece of advice, if i may. all of these killer builds that are going on here, require so much effort and scratch building ability. if there is a problem. you should correct it. you will only pay the price later with an ill fitting"something or other " and you'll kick yourself in the butt for not taking care of it now. joe, i am not saying that there is something wrong with your chassis. as a matter of fact it looks great! this is just a piece of advice for everyone that starts a high intensity build like this. measure twice and cut once. check and double and triple check your references. otherwise your labor intensive build will not represent the skill and labor you've invested. the talent i see here is amazing!!!!! don't let the "hurry and get it done" frame of mind push your build down the wrong path.

keep up the awesome work. i love seeing drag cars,.....especially pro mods.

Thx. for the insight guys, It is much appreciated. I did mockup my wheel center lines when i started the chassis, i did another quick mock-up last night with the tires and wheels at the center lines and the motor seems to sit where it needs to. I will double check again tonight, i did find some pictures of dave Hance's twin turbo promod and it has the firewall out further like mine, Looks like his car use to be a Blower car. I will try to get a picture tonight with the front wheels at the center line and the motor in for you guys to check out and see what ya think.

joe, dave hance's car is just the ticket for you to reference. you'll see the windshield in it, is like your body. flatter and not a wrap-around. the body on andy macoy's car has a more stock like wrap around windshield. couple of really insightful shots on the extreme race cars site. oh, i wanted to ask you, are you doing a twin turbo'd B.A.E. hemi or something else? and what for trans? keep up the great work.

joe, dave hance's car is just the ticket for you to reference. you'll see the windshield in it, is like your body. flatter and not a wrap-around. the body on andy macoy's car has a more stock like wrap around windshield. couple of really insightful shots on the extreme race cars site. oh, i wanted to ask you, are you doing a twin turbo'd B.A.E. hemi or something else? and what for trans? keep up the great work.

Thx. Dave, Using the B.A.E. hemi and lenco trans. Xtreme is where i saw the pictures of Dave's car.

Ok guys, Here's the car laid out where the motor will sit in relation to my front wheel center line. Let me know what ya think, Best i can do with pictures right now. didn't get my good camera back yet.

398667994.jpg

398667996.jpg

398667998.jpg

Just got my 57 today very nice body. Will be watching this build. Looks great so far.

Mike

Thx. Mike, Can't wait to see what you do with yours.