Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius New trucks......KW, Peterbilt.....others? New trailer?

Im just thinkin thats all. Addition of rim options and a supplement to the instructions to alter the frame to make it shorter. That wouldnt drive the cost out of control. The cost of tooling for a new roof and day cab piece would cost some since those are "larger" pieces. But i dont know since im not in the business or an employee of a model manufacturer. Like i said just an idea from a consumer. Not tryin to stir things up.

I still think it's a logical enough idea- what you're proposing could be done for way less than tooling an all new kit, and since the aluminum wheels would already have been in the original version of the kit, they could just throw those in as an option.

I'm sure some people would feel miffed if they only suggested cutting the kit frame rails rather than providing shorter ones, but who here hasn't shortened or lengthened a frame? If the idea is to appeal to the dedicated truck modelers that would be a small concession, since they're probably familiar with the ins and outs of modifying a kit frame.

Im just thinkin thats all. Addition of rim options and a supplement to the instructions to alter the frame to make it shorter. That wouldnt drive the cost out of control. The cost of tooling for a new roof and day cab piece would cost some since those are "larger" pieces. But i dont know since im not in the business or an employee of a model manufacturer. Like i said just an idea from a consumer. Not tryin to stir things up.

True, that is a good point.

This is just me, and its based off what ifs and maybes. IF moebius offered a day cab conversion, for say 20 to 30 bucks, id buy a few. Like i have done with the rim and tire sets. Ive bought 6 sets in last couple months for different things.

A prostar conversion MIGHT include short frame rails, day cab panels and some other options, maybe fuel tank steps, maybe a chrome visor since the kit comes with a paintable 1. Could have a mix of parts to dress it up for show and dress it down for work. Kinda like a work wear and evening wear option.

Who knows what they have up their sleeve next for us truck guys, besides the trailer. I for 1 will be waiting, being patient. Dave has already said what the deal is on trucks so all we can do is talk amongst ourselves, exchange possibilities and dreams. Hopefully in a some what respectful manner. Dont need the truck guys labled as the problem builders.

I agree that adding so many options to a kit would be a cost nightmare, however, they are on the right track with the rim and wheel sets. Offer the pieces to change the kits the way modeler want. Offer a day cab converstion, different engines, more bling, or plain white parts. We already are doing the changes with resin cast or kits that we are cutting up, so why not channel that money to a great model company. The same is true for the trailers, offer the reefer unit seperate, maybe even get a legal copy of a carrier unit, offer the rear swing doors or roll up doors as an accessory kit, this way we could cut up the 53' trailer and make shorter trailers (such as doubles or 35' delivery trailers), they already have the tooling. You can take 2 53' reefers and make 3 28' reefer pups, but you need more fronts/rears and reefers.

That's my $0.02 worth

Moebius are foolish not to tool up a set of ACCURATE two hole budds, this is the most commonly used wheel in America. If they offered them in a separate set like they are offering the ten holes, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves. Hell, I'd buy twenty sets myself and I already make two hole budds! The fact of having them in styrene over resin makes it worth it. The key thing here is they would have to be ACCURATE!!!! I have spent many years studying every curve and contour of the real wheel and have incorporated this into the masters I make. Sure, coming out with this would take away all my sales of two holes but the main reason I made them in the first place was to help my fellow Modelers. Moebius would just be taking over for me.

Moebius are foolish not to tool up a set of ACCURATE two hole budds, this is the most commonly used wheel in America. If they offered them in a separate set like they are offering the ten holes, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves. Hell, I'd buy twenty sets myself and I already make two hole budds! The fact of having them in styrene over resin makes it worth it. The key thing here is they would have to be ACCURATE!!!! I have spent many years studying every curve and contour of the real wheel and have incorporated this into the masters I make. Sure, coming out with this would take away all my sales of two holes but the main reason I made them in the first place was to help my fellow Modelers. Moebius would just be taking over for me.

Your wheels are good. I recommended them,

Most truck modellers, at least on this forum are not exclusively truck modelers. They will build a truck model as an accessory to their cars models. You read it in the posts. Making a car trailer for their cars, turning a tractor in to a rat type car and those that do want trucks, turn them in to show trucks. Lowering the suspensions like low rider cars, spread axle trailers, super stretchedt frames. From my observation, commercial, fleet model subjects are on the bottom of most truck modelers lists.

I would love to see steel budds as kit wheels, but I would guess, the typical modeler wants shiny chrome.

Weird how we're all putting our faith in Moebius and almost not asking anything from other makers... I think Revell is still a contender for new equipment and should have a serious look at a truck design of their own, I'm hoping they're not just asking around for suggestions... They could have been testing the waters with the reboxed Moebius kits.

So anyhow, any kit producer could try something like this, AMT did various truck wheel models it in the 60's and 70's. The Astro and Titan had 5 spoke wheels all around, the Autocar dump truck had front flotations with 6 spokes, the Autocar tractor had 5 hole aluminum front discs, both firetrucks and the Peerless logging trailer had nice 5 hole steel budds the White brothers had 5 spokes in the back and the D-R had 5 spokes all around too. Come to think of it, Ertl did the same except it was even easier to switch the wheels from one truck to another since the wheel back parts were separate from the "face".

At the time, AMT and Ertl had many kits out, that must have helped a bit to spread the wheel designs and they did have a nice assortment of rims and tires. It sure was fun to switch the rims from one kit to another and end up with something looking different from the box art.

So you never know, maybe the folks at Moebius have something up their sleeve. It would be nice to have those 2 hole wheels with accurate hubs, make them separate parts on their own trees so it's a mix and match for truck and trailer applications. And correct drive tires would be nice too... If we ask nicely. Get the next truck and trailer kits on those and sell the new wheels separately like the other rims just as it was suggested before. I know a Lonestar would look pretty cool with 5 hole steelies... Even if the big ones don't get them!

Another thing that I would like to see, a truck kit no chrome at all except for light buckets. If I want shiny bits' I'll paint them with Alclad chrome or aluminum. Nothing I hate more than have a nice chrome fuel tank just to sand down the seems and then paint it up with aluminum paint again.

Edited by BigBad

I'd like to see a current open car carrier trailer or a current NASCAR style hauler made. Or maybe one of the enclosed style car carriers that the collector car companies use to transport cross country.

I bet a lot of car builders like myself would be inspired to build a truck if it was something we could display with our cars.

Weird how we're all putting our faith in Moebius and almost not asking anything from other makers... I think Revell is still a contender for new equipment and should have a serious look at a truck design of their own, I'm hoping they're not just asking around for suggestions... They could have been testing the waters with the reboxed Moebius kits.

So anyhow, any kit producer could try something like this, AMT did various truck wheel models it in the 60's and 70's. The Astro and Titan had 5 spoke wheels all around, the Autocar dump truck had front flotations with 6 spokes, the Autocar tractor had 5 hole aluminum front discs, both firetrucks and the Peerless logging trailer had nice 5 hole steel budds the White brothers had 5 spokes in the back and the D-R had 5 spokes all around too. Come to think of it, Ertl did the same except it was even easier to switch the wheels from one truck to another since the wheel back parts were separate from the "face".

At the time, AMT and Ertl had many kits out, that must have helped a bit to spread the wheel designs and they did have a nice assortment of rims and tires. It sure was fun to switch the rims from one kit to another and end up with something looking different from the box art.

So you never know, maybe the folks at Moebius have something up their sleeve. It would be nice to have those 2 hole wheels with accurate hubs, make them separate parts on their own trees so it's a mix and match for truck and trailer applications. And correct drive tires would be nice too... If we ask nicely. Get the next truck and trailer kits on those and sell the new wheels separately like the other rims just as it was suggested before. I know a Lonestar would look pretty cool with 5 hole steelies... Even if the big ones don't get them!

Another thing that I would like to see, a truck kit no chrome at all except for light buckets. If I want shiny bits' I'll paint them with Alclad chrome or aluminum. Nothing I hate more than have a nice chrome fuel tank just to sand down the seems and then paint it up with aluminum paint again.

I personally don't care who does the subjects I wish for, as long as we get them I'm happy.

So if it's Moebius, Round 2, Revell or anyone else doesn't matter to me as long as the kits and parts they do are done correct.

Regarding chrome plated parts.

It's a lot easier and of course cheaper to remove unwanted chrome plating than to have parts you want plated done...all builders around the World doesn't have a vacuum plating service for modelers available to them as you do in the US...companies like Chrome Tech and others...we don't have anything like that over here so we have to rely on the kit manufacturers to plate the parts for us.

Yes you can use Alclad Chrome or something similar, but the finish doesn't get as shiny as the plated kit parts does and I prefer plated parts over non plated parts as I can do as I please with them, dull them down, remove the plating and use paint instead or whatever, if the parts are unplated I do not have much choice do I.

Edited by Force

Well this is a thread specifically started about future Moebius trucks, by Dave who works for Moebius. If Tom Lowe started a thread about the future of truck kits at Round 2 / AMT I would expect to see discussion revolving around their past, present and future kits. Basically I wouldn't read too much into the lack of discussion about the other brands, they are sort of off topic.

Edited by Aaronw

You are right Aaron and the subject really is for Moebius. But my point is, there is no request to the other manufacturers out there. Thre might be some hope from Revell (ROG). But not much else. The others just re-edit the older kits which is ok, but I'd like some more newer subjects. So I guess our best bet for now really is Moebius...

Hakan, I wouldn't get the shiny parts chromed by an outside firm, I'd paint them with Alcald II. It's a waste of time having to remove the chrome of parts before repainting with chrome again once they are trimmed and sanded down smooth.

I understand your point of view, yes it might be a waste of time removing unwanted plating but if no parts were plated the choices are very limited if you would have liked them plated...especially when you don't have a vacuum plating service for modelers at hand wich we don't have over here.

So therefore I prefer to have plated parts in model kits even though I might remove the plating...at least I have the choice to do as I please.

Edited by Force

You are right Aaron and the subject really is for Moebius. But my point is, there is no request to the other manufacturers out there. Thre might be some hope from Revell (ROG). But not much else. The others just re-edit the older kits which is ok, but I'd like some more newer subjects. So I guess our best bet for now really is Moebius...

Hakan, I wouldn't get the shiny parts chromed by an outside firm, I'd paint them with Alcald II. It's a waste of time having to remove the chrome of parts before repainting with chrome again once they are trimmed and sanded down smooth.

I've got plenty of ideas for tweaking existing kits from the other manufacturers, I just didn't think this was the place to bring it up. :)

What about the International CXT? The real truck didn't last long in production, guzzled gas at about 8-10 mpg, it is essentially a 7300 crew-cab with 4x4, Allison 2500HD automatic transmission, Meritor MTC 4208 two-speed transfer case, and 8 ft Ford super duty drw bed, but man isn't it a cool looking truck. It could provide a wealth of options for many builders out there, including as a starting point for any TranStar builders. I know that I'd take the pickup bed off, add a Type IV body, and have myself a nice set of wildland fire trucks with this kit. It couldn't be any worse than the Cadillac Escalade kits, right?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tell you what....This topic makes for some great reading.....

I'm totally into a new trailer kit.....I'd love to see a new tractor, but a new 48' or 53' spread axle flatbed would be AWESOME in my book......

Also, I'm with Clayton and the other guys on an accessories offering......I'd only add a few parts for trailers, such as accurate aero skirts and, as someone mentioned earlier, an old retro refer setup.....Two hole Budds, like Ben said, would be an awesome addition, too....Italeri has the only truck mounted crane option out, as well, and is the sole reason I would buy "their" accessory pack.....I love the rim and tire pack "you guys" have....I've bought several sets, already.....They make all the old AMT and Revell models looks so much better.....Which is why I think an accessory pack may be a good way to go....I'd buy it just for a single item inside.....

I applaud Moebius for stepping up to help us truck modelers with the Lonestar and Prostar.....Probably two of the best kits around....And the smooth side trailer is a serious knockout punch.....I really like that model.....With the rear door options, it just opened up so many possibilities.....With that trailer and many scratch build ideas I have, as well....

All I can say is, "THANK YOU"......I'm just happy you guys came along, Dave....

Edited by kilrathy10

Oh !!!! And DRIVE TIRES !!!!!! WE NEED DRIVE TIRES !!!!!! If you threw those in an accessory pack, I'm sure you'd sell more than your fair share.....

I know they're available in resin, but cost is a factor, there.....Tossed in with some other stuff, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing them......

Edited by kilrathy10