Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Chrome Plating

Casey429

I've always used bleach, and never had a problem with it until now. I have a Ford SOHC engine from the AMT 68 Shelby GT kit, and it really must be some stubborn chrome. Usually it would take minutes to an hour, but this has been soaking for three days!!! Got to give another cleaner a try.

I once had one of those hand-held shower heads... the kind that's attached to the pipe with a flexible hose so you can hold it in your hand when you shower. It was chrome-plated plastic. The water flow seemed restricted... I figured it had to be mineral deposits built up in the spray head holes, so I soaked the thing overnight in a bucket of water with a little bleach. Next morning it wasn't chrome plated anymore. :lol:

My preference is caustic soda solution. Takes 'chrome' and varnish off in about 5 to 10 minutes, occasionaly and rarely perhaps 20 minutes max.

My friend from Australia uses this. He said he starts with flakes and mixes the solution. He was telling me that he tried to get CSC since he saw it on the board. He either wanted to know where to buy it, or what the active ingredients were and what would be the Aussie equivalent. So he called up Castrol in Australia and the folks there hadn't heard of it. The guy called him back and said no, it wasn't available, and that nothing that caustic would be allowed to be sold in Australia!

so, I tried ammonia last night, and bleach. My chrome parts were all very clean...but still chrome. I had a bottle of CLR sitting around and decided to give it a whirl. worked like a charm, and it was the dollar store variety. From the ingredients list, its mostly sodium hydroxide (lye). Its caustic stuff, so you have to glove up, but its pretty cheap and worked well. Took both the chrome, and the undercoating off.

• 3 weeks later...

so, I tried ammonia last night, and bleach. My chrome parts were all very clean...but still chrome. I had a bottle of CLR sitting around and decided to give it a whirl. worked like a charm, and it was the dollar store variety. From the ingredients list, its mostly sodium hydroxide (lye). Its caustic stuff, so you have to glove up, but its pretty cheap and worked well. Took both the chrome, and the undercoating off.

Amanda, how long did you let it sit in the CLR?

• 1 month later...

:unsure: After soaking all night in Bleche Wite, now made by Black Magic and called new and improved, I still have flecks of chrome on the parts I am trying to strip! I changed the solution once and even brushed the parts with a toothbrush. Any ideas for a different product that will safely do the job?

I use normal bleach, chrome is gone in a few mins tops

AMT chrome is normally a bit harder to strip than Revell

Does bleach lose it's "potency"?

I've got 3 old peanut butter jars for stripping paint, DOT 3, Simple Green, and Clorox bleach. I've soaked some AMT parts from the Barris T Buggy for nearly 2 days, chrome wont budge. I've stripped other chrome parts in the same bleach and they were ready in a 1/2 hour - 2 hours tops.

I use Mr Clean kitchen floor cleaner to strip chrome. It actually smells like lemons. I keep it under the kitchen sink. When I need to strip a bumper I fill a kitchen glass with Mr Clean (lts a lime green clear), drop in the part and leave it until it strips. I'll often just leave it overnight. Once done, I pull the parts out with my fingers (it's not harsh at all) and wash them off in the sink. Then I pour the Mr Clean right back in the bottle.

There is no reason to use something industrial strength, industrial smelling and other wise a hazard to human life just to strip a bumper.

• 2 months later...

The purple pond. Castrol Super Clean. Strips chrome in less than an hour. Also not kind to skin, so avoid getting your fingers in it.

I bought a strainer at Wal-Mart for 2.50 and never touch parts and rinse. Sit the damp parts paper towels to air dry. I know oven cleaner works but I don't like the fumes. I tend to use purple power for my chrome removal...

• 1 month later...

Just for the hell of it it tried this stuff out. I have the easy off and it took over night and then some and even then it didn't take off the film beneath the plating.

I did a test piece with this and it was off within minutes with nothing left beneath it. Did a whole 1/12 bike frame in under an hour

post-10477-0-24353000-1401844456_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I used to use Easy Off & it does work great, but I got tired of "suiting up" with a mask, gloves etc. everytime I used it. :) Super Clean works just as well, if not better, with a lot less hassle & toxic fumes. & it's completely bio-degradeable, so when it's all used up, (& I use it over & over again) you can just dump it any old place. Now whether or not all of the stripped paint etc. in it is bio-degradeable.......? :mellow: steve

Just for the hell of it it tried this stuff out. I have the easy off and it took over night and then some and even then it didn't take off the film beneath the plating.

I did a test piece with this and it was off within minutes with nothing left beneath it. Did a whole 1/12 bike frame in under an hour

Great stuff. Does a great job without the fumes however you really should use gloves when you take the parts out of it.