Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 PROMAD IMPALA

lusenut2

Here is a 60 impala I started on a little over a year ago and just lost track of time and interest on it. A few weeks ago I was clearing out some old slot car parts and came across it so I desided to finish it. I painted it in House of Colors Majack blue then put the stickers on it and clear over them with automotive clear. It took me forever to finish the project but it turned awesome.

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03370.jpg

DSC03371.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

No the front wheels dont touch. They are just a tab bit above the surface of the track. I hate cars that have the front wheels 1/4 inch off the track. I like mine to look like there driving down the track. I believe the track surface is made out of Corian.

I am the same way. I was one of the few in a club up in Michigan that would run wheels on the ground. From my experience racing and from what many racers have told me the whole wheels off the ground thing is a myth started back in the late 60's early 70's. Some of the top guys started running that way because back then contacts weren't as good as they are now and it was easy to lose power. Nowadays all that has been fixed and the friction created negates any sort of power advantage you would get from the contact.

Isn't that surface slick? You guys must spin the wheels all the way down the track even with sticky sprays and tire glue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I'm new here, and was turned on to your site by a fellow racer and builder. I think this looks to be a great source of info I can use.

I wanted to add a word of caution about low tires.. I agree it looks better to do this, but I had one that once it hit the glue trap, the tires would lift the car causing a deslot. And we all know how ugly that can get.

Car looks great, love the big body styles.