Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 duster hood scoop?

Anyone make the twin scoop for the middle of the hood for a 71 duster? Kit comes with the 2 outboard scoops

You're thinking of the 1972 Demon 340 (and "Sizzler") scoops . Not sure if one of the resin casters makes one or not ... Perhaps Hart's Parts or Missing Link or Competition Resins ?

You mean the internet lied?? Lol. Ok, would one of you guys wanna pm me. I have a few more option questions. I'm a ford guy but I have a fairly good grasp of the mopar stuff but some of the options confuse me

Here's a good place to start, Fred: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971PlymouthDealershipDataBook-09.shtml

might want to search the history for Time Machine on the forum...

may be OK on Ebay - but otherwise not so good...

Modelhaus has several Mopar scoops. Their online store has them listed under the car that they are made for. I bought a pair of twin scoops for a 1971 Duster from them a while back. They may have others - check under Demon also. Good parts, good service. Ususally a 4-6 week wait but worth it and you will get what you ordered.

That looks good! What I can't seem to nail down is if this scoop was actually a factory option for a 71? Some sources say no but then I look up info on correct restorations and there is that scoop again!! Think I'm just going to go twin scoops and no hood blackout. Is the 340 hood decal correct on a body color hood? Mopar did so many different things I don't even know what's correct anymore!!

That looks good! What I can't seem to nail down is if this scoop was actually a factory option for a 71? Some sources say no but then I look up info on correct restorations and there is that scoop again!! Think I'm just going to go twin scoops and no hood blackout. Is the 340 hood decal correct on a body color hood? Mopar did so many different things I don't even know what's correct anymore!!

hey Fred, i found this for you. you can draw your own conclusions but please don't shoot the messenger.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=4765234

Lol that's a lot of jumbled up info there. So what I got out of that was that a body color hood with body color twin scoops is totally NOT correct! And if you wanted the scoops you took the twister pkg with the black hood with ladder stripe up the middle. And if you wanted the 340 decal on the hood it was also mandatory black and the decal should only be black and white?!! Oh and scoop less. Wow. Seems to be a TON of incorrect cars out there lol. Think I'm going to take a page from my cuda build and build this car the way I would have ordered/ wanted it new

Lol that's a lot of jumbled up info there. So what I got out of that was that a body color hood with body color twin scoops is totally NOT correct! And if you wanted the scoops you took the twister pkg with the black hood with ladder stripe up the middle. And if you wanted the 340 decal on the hood it was also mandatory black and the decal should only be black and white?!! Oh and scoop less. Wow. Seems to be a TON of incorrect cars out there lol. Think I'm going to take a page from my cuda build and build this car the way I would have ordered/ wanted it new

that's why i said i am only the messenger!! if you follow what Bill said. no scoops on the duster 340 cars, the 340 wedge decals requires a blackout.... the twister requi...er....sss...

yea, just build it like you want it!

Aside from Rallye wheels being added to pre-1970 MoPars , and N42 Bright Exhaust Tips being added to MoPars which didn't have them as an option , hood scoops are another modification (okay ... decklid spoilers , too ) which are *incorrect* for the most part .

- 1970 Duster 340 = No factory scoops .

- 1971 Duster 340 = No factory scoops

- 1971 Duster Twister = scoops

- 1970 Swinger 340 = Optional scoops

- 1971 Demon 340 = Optional scoops

- 1971 Demon Sizzler = scoops

For 1972 , the scoops' design was changed . They were only available on :

- 1972 Demon 340 = Optional scoops ( required the hood stripe as part of the package )

For 1973 , the scoops were again changed as far as factory-installed scoops were concerned :

- 1973 Duster Twister = smaller , "backward-mount" scoops

- 1974 Duster Twister = same as 1973 .

The "1972 Demon 340" scoop design proved popular enough that Direct Connection (predecessor to today's "Mopar Performance" ) offered them through their catalogue . These were commonly-fitted to 1973-1976 Dart Sport , and 1976-1979 Aspen / Volare .

Again , no factory scoops on Dart Sport ( 340 , Rallye , or otherwise ) .

So , if you're going for a factory-correct replica , stay away from the scoops .

Ok, sooo. If I wanted to build a nice duster in purple with the white stripes and white interior and no hood blackout it should have no hood scoops of any kind? What about the go wing? So is the green box art car wrong? What is this twister pkg? Why do I see paint daub restored cars in the mopar rags and on the internet with body color scoops and in one case a body color go wing? I read the wing was an option in 70/71 but 2 different styles. I have also seen pics of the hood blackout on a car that had the ladder stripe up the middle then the scoop on either side then the blackout ended on the outside edges of the scoops then a pinstripe. Ooof da! I may just put a six pack bee scoop on it and slicks and jam a hemi in it! Lol