Model Cars Magazine Forum

How often do you visit Hobby Lobby?

One more thing- I will support any business that sells models or supplies, be it a big-box discount store, mom-and-pop LHS, craft store, on-line, vendors at contests... I do try to stay local and keep the $ where I live, but the situation might not always allow for that. So, the little bit of wealth does get spread around and it helps everyone.

I too like to keep my money going to the LHS's but it's hard when they can't, or refuse to get what you want. You have no choice but to go elsewhere

I'm lucky to have a boatload of Hobby Lobby's around me. They recently put some slow moving models (in their opinion I guess) on clearance for 40% off. There's an I-Phone app that lets you get a 40% coupon off anytime now. I remember used to it was every other week for one in the paper. They seem to get the "latest releases" a while after they actually hit elsewhere. They just recently put out the Rat Roaster, the '56 Shoebox Ford. The closet store carries a good selection of Testors paints including the spray lacquers. There is a great Hobby Shop about 30 miles away in Irving, Texas. "Wild Bill's" They buy old collections and have a great variety of cars, planes, etc. plus a good R/C selection. There are also Hobby town stores in the Dallas area, but they only carry a spartan selection of car models. I grew up with a Local Hobby Shop a few blocks away and remember how much fun it was to ride our bikes to the shop. That was also when kits were $2.25.

Ahhh, the good 'ole days.

Jimmy

They recently put some slow moving models (in their opinion I guess) on clearance for 40% off. There's an I-Phone app that lets you get a 40% coupon off anytime now. I remember used to it was every other week for one in the paper. They seem to get the "latest releases" a while after they actually hit elsewhere. They just recently put out the Rat Roaster, the '56 Shoebox Ford.

I did notice the AMT '65 Chevelle Wagon, Ford Van, Stude Avanti, and several other Revell kits on clearance at the Green Bay, WI store, replaced by several other newer releases. The Avanti's been on the shelf for almost exactly one year, but the AMT '76 Gremlin is still on the shelf, and I've yet to see it clearance priced.

HL seems to get both "new" releases (as in they stock them within the month the hit the street) as well as some which are a few months old (such as the Rat Roaster), so they don't seem to follow the typical stock pattern a LHS would.

I did notice the AMT '65 Chevelle Wagon, Ford Van, Stude Avanti, and several other Revell kits on clearance at the Green Bay, WI store, replaced by several other newer releases. The Avanti's been on the shelf for almost exactly one year, but the AMT '76 Gremlin is still on the shelf, and I've yet to see it clearance priced.

HL seems to get both "new" releases (as in they stock them within the month the hit the street) as well as some which are a few months old (such as the Rat Roaster), so they don't seem to follow the typical stock pattern a LHS would.

The same exact kits are on clearance at our location plus a few others, Monogram Lambo Diablo,AMT 71 Charger, AMT 70 1/2 Z28, AMT vette 2010-12

I too like to keep my money going to the LHS's but it's hard when they can't, or refuse to get what you want. You have no choice but to go elsewhere

I was at my local HTU today and they we confused about the new 57 Ford police car kit. They didn't seem to interested in finding out if they could get one, which would have been a sale. On another note they had several of the exact same kits that hobby lobby carries for the price for one as two of the hobby lobby kits with the coupon. The 57Fireball Roberts kit was 33.99, I could get two at hobby lobby for that price. It's one of the reasons that I by more kits at hobby lobby than at the lhs. Even though I would like to support them, I can't justify that kind of spending.

I was at my local HTU today and they we confused about the new 57 Ford police car kit. They didn't seem to interested in finding out if they could get one, which would have been a sale. On another note they had several of the exact same kits that hobby lobby carries for the price for one as two of the hobby lobby kits with the coupon. The 57Fireball Roberts kit was 33.99, I could get two at hobby lobby for that price. It's one of the reasons that I by more kits at hobby lobby than at the lhs. Even though I would like to support them, I can't justify that kind of spending.

Our HTU is horrible. We have to practically beg him to get things in that modelers would obviously by, like BMF and wetsanding sheets. The same goes for us R/C racers. We run on his track, yet he won't order the type of tire the pretty much everyone prefers to run on the track. We can't support him if he won't carry what we want. I mean, do you want to make money or not?? lol

Our HTU is horrible. We have to practically beg him to get things in that modelers would obviously by, like BMF and wetsanding sheets. The same goes for us R/C racers. We run on his track, yet he won't order the type of tire the pretty much everyone prefers to run on the track. We can't support him if he won't carry what we want. I mean, do you want to make money or not?? lol

And the wonder why the local hobby shops are in trouble. My local Hobbytown doesn't stock Tamiya paints. When I asked the owner he said, "Yup, people keep asking for that." Sooooooo?!?! It hasn't occurred to him to actually stock it?

And the wonder why the local hobby shops are in trouble. My local Hobbytown doesn't stock Tamiya paints. When I asked the owner he said, "Yup, people keep asking for that." Sooooooo?!?! It hasn't occurred to him to actually stock it?

If they dont want to be bothered to stock what the customer is asking for, then you cant blame people for buying the products they want at chain stores, or online stores

my kits at my local hobby lobbys are on sale too just wish I had some cash to buy up a few!! they are good ones too not the junk wish ours were ten bucks tho! prices vary on the marked down kits

I visit at least once per week and hit up the clearance section they always have some form of rattle spray on sale marked down!

I visit the Hobby Lobby in Morgan Hill about every two months. They usually have the same stuff. I went about two weeks ago and found that their model car section bare and several kits on clearance. I hoping that they are going to get some new inventory. I'll check back in about a month.

...and I really do not care about their political agenda. If they have something I want when near one, I will buy it.

Agreed!

Doesn't everyone have a political agenda? If I had to research the political philosophies of every store owner to make sure that they believe in the same things I believe in, I'd have no time left for hobbies! :lol:

I know that different Hobby Lobby stores stock different amounts of kits and supplies... some more, some less. But the biggest plus to HL, IMO, is all the other stuff you can find there. Check out the jewelry making aisle and you'll find a ton of stuff that will work perfectly for scale wiring and general detailing. I get "leather" to upholster my interiors in the fabric department (it's actually vinyl that looks like leather). I get tiny brass hinges in the dollhouse section, I get basswood strips there... you get the idea. Hobby Lobby might not be the best-stocked store for model kits themselves, but they are a treasure trove of all kinds of other stuff that comes in very handy. If you have one nearby and have never gone, give it a shot. I can almost guarantee you'll find something that you'll want to buy.