Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model building going to die off after our Generation goes?

• 2 months later...

Looks like Fat Brian and I are "around" the same age...

O.P., I am 36, I've had a desire to get into model building for probably 15-20 years. I would browse kits at random stores when I'd stumble across them and never saw that kit that just clicked with me, so I never took the plunge.

A couple months ago, I was at a very small hobby shop here in Ohio looking for parts for my 1/16 scale gas (nitro) RC Car. I saw two old ERTL kits (probably late 70's/ early 80's era) which were a tractor and trailer 1/25 scale big rig. I am a software developer for a company that designs software for the trucking industry, so these big rigs were right up my alley. The shop also had an old (same timeframe probably) Hasegawa T-38 fighter jet kit which I bought and built as my first ever build in my life (aside from snap-together pre-painted stuff when I was about 5!) to use as my "warm up / practice" for the big rig.

I am now completely bitten with the bug and can see this is something I'll be doing as long as I am able. I still consider myself part of the "younger generation" and hope this hobby continues for many years as well.

I don't know. I have been into cars and models since very young age. Then in my teen years I was too busy with chasing girls and other stupidity like drinking. Got back into the hobby at 19 years old when I saw the model section at Michael's. All it took was to build one model and I was hooked and been going at it for the past 3 years. I feel like even if younger generation are not into models, they may get into it later on so model building isn't going to die out as long as there are models in stores like walmart that people can see.

My opinion, As a under 18 modeller, (said that because that is how most shows/contests categorize us), I've been in this hobby for 8 years, My neighbor and one of my best friends caught the modelling bug from me and now models. As far as no people to take over the hobby as most of you have bleakly made the hobby's lively hood sound, every show I've been to they're is at least a dozen if not more people my age, who have entered they're models, and at least twice that many onlookers, who have just come to see the show and don't enter. Every time I'm in the local hobby shop there is younger people in it. On that note how many of you guys have kids that build? That's how I got into this hobby, my dad built up until my siblings were older.

As far as I'm concerned those "Tuner" kits, those "Donk" kits, all the stuff you guys criticize for being released, that's what draws the younger crowd, I know, I've spoken with the owner of the local hobby shop, he's said that when those kits first came out he noticed a lot of younger people buying them.

I've noticed that this topic comes up all the time, Are We INVISIBLE on this Forum, watch the Birthdays: See how many are under 20, under 30, even under 40.

Then tell me that the hobby will die off after your generation.

Nick Winter

See how many are under 20, under 30, even under 40.

Nick Winter

Not alot , the common age on here is 50+, and sad truth, thats the only age the American companys care about

Well I am pretty sure they are going to regret that when their bread and butter customers are no longer around, and whats left is my generation, the one before me,and the one Nick is in, or is nick in the one after that, hmmm

Anyways, they should be praying that we will still be wanting to buy their rehashed over 100 times reissues

I dont really think reissues of 57 chevys are going to be keeping them in the black in 20-30 years, but again, I what do I know, I am just guessing.

I really do hope that this hobby will not die off, and I dont think it will, it may change, but I dont think it will go away that quickly, but say it lasting another 50 years, I dont know,

Edited by martinfan5