Model Cars Magazine Forum

Batmobile # 1 Sold At Barrett - Jackson !

There are supposedly 12 copies of this car around.

One of them resides in Iowa. I've talked to the guy that built it and have pictures of it.

Barris has tried to buy it several times.

It was kind of funny to see it parked at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

AND Iowa plates!!

One of them resides in Iowa. I've talked to the guy that built it and have pictures of it.

AND Iowa plates!!

There are four builders of 66 Batmobile replicas, (one is officialy licensed by DC comics), one of which has built over 30 cars himself, another has built almost 20. add 6 or 7 people selling kits for homebuilders, and over 100 replicas is quite posible.

Barris still owns a fiberglass replica, I think it is the one that was used in the Back to the Batcave movie a few years ago. Barris has been traveling with this replica for years as the orignial was far too valuable to move around the country in a trailer. But in best Barris tradition it is "the orignal" Batmobile when shown.

AND Iowa plates!!

There is/was one in Florida...a friend of mine from Belgium has ridden in it.

Edited by Rob Hall

Star's Cars in Gatlinberg, Tennessee has one. They also have tons of other awesome movie and TV cars. Fast and Furious Charger, Eclipse, Grand National, a General Lee, Gone in 60 Seconds GT500 Eleanor plus tons of others. If you're ever there it's a really cool place to check out.

Is it me or did Barris come across like a babbling old fool?

The man is self-promoter but I think he had his heyday about 45 years ago. The grandson was there to help Grandpa and get 15 minutes of fame.

I personally think the buyer paid about $4,000,000 too much for the car.

I think $4.2 million is below its value. This is a cultural icon known to millions more people than the Bugattis, Ferraris and Mercedes classics that have been auctioned for multiples of that price. Here are the top auction prices paid for cars as of 2011. This doesn't include private transactions, such as the $35 million that Peter Mullin paid a couple of years ago for a Bugatti Atlantic to put in his California museum.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/10-most-expensive-cars-ever-sold-at-auction#slide-1

Edited by sjordan2

They said a lot of things right during the sale. That this car was a bigger star than Batman. That George Barris knew what it was worth.

This is the car that made me love cars. I couldn't wait to get one these cars to play with. When they came out in 1/25th scale (only scale that counts) I had to get one.

Oh them experts saying it was only worth $200,000 ate a full crow dinner today. LOL Mike Joy included

Edited by Monte's Motors

The man is self-promoter but I think he had his heyday about 45 years ago. The grandson was there to help Grandpa and get 15 minutes of fame.

I personally think the buyer paid about $4,000,000 too much for the car.

People pay big money for things that you might not see the value in.

http://maineantiquedigest.com/articles_archive/articles/nov06/indianvane1106.htm

That makes the Batmobile look like a veritable steal.

-MJS

Let's see.Sold for $4.2million.Less 8% seller commission of $336,000.Now you have to figure tax on the capital gain from the profit of $4,199,999.One of my model buddies makes most of his income now from selling things and he says the tax rate on the gains is 40 percent.So old Georgie's gonna net something less than $2 million.

Let's see.Sold for $4.2million.Less 8% seller commission of $336,000.Now you have to figure tax on the capital gain from the profit of $4,199,999.One of my model buddies makes most of his income now from selling things and he says the tax rate on the gains is 40 percent.So old Georgie's gonna net something less than $2 million.

Capital gains is actually 28% for collectible items, but you bring up an interesting point. Here's how taxes differ for collectors. investors and dealers of collectible cars:

http://www.groco.com/readingroom/invest_carcollections.aspx

"In terms of tax treatments, the distinction between collectors, investors and dealers is of great importance. Between collectors and investors, the tax rule is generally more favorable to the investors. Whereas, being a vehicle dealer may create unique tax advantages...The tax rate on long-term (collection held for more than one year) collectible capital gain is 28%, whether you are a collector or investor."

Moral: If you want to collect and sell valuable cars, be a dealer for bigger tax breaks. A lot of cars pass through the Barris shop, and I would guess he's smart enough to have dealer status, as well as having accountants to work all the tax advantages. If not, he's probably crying all the way to the bank.

Edited by sjordan2