Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960s NASCAR Paint Colors

Ken McGuire

I've been looking online for reference material about the paint colors used on mid-1960s Ford NASCAR entries (and possibly in future the Mopar, etc. entries). In some cases it's mentioned that pearl coats were applied over the factory color - e.g., Fred Lorenzen - or that a Barris-inspired metal flake paint color was used. From period photographs, it's hard to distinguish which cars - e.g. year - received which paint treatment and I don't have access to the real NASCAR vehicles so am wondering if there is a good source of reference material available?

I have to agree,they were factory paint except for a few,below is the link to Randy's site...

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewforum.php?f=15

Yes, I agree there were few special paint jobs however it has been confirmed on Randy Ayers site that the mid-1960s Fords did have a pearl coat or two over the factory paint at various times. So I think I'll do the same on my model - it'll look cool also ;o)