Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ancient history Kyle Petty Mello Yello Pontiac wagon

Russell C

Wait...... wagon?

Yet another blast from the past, finished in October 1992 just in time to take to the Dallas Southwest Challenge contest a month later. If I remember right, entrants to the contest the prior year received not one but two 1/32 scale Kyle Petty stock car kits, and since I was already working on my Porsche 911 woody wagon at the time, that wacko idea fell onto these kits as well. I just used a chunk of the roof out of one kit and added it to the other with some styrene scrap for the B and C pillars. A slave to temptation on messing with people's minds, I always have been.

o08ggx.jpg

14jz5e9.jpg

One of the handy simple tricks I did to achieve the red-striped Bassett wheel rims was to lathe-turn a groove into the rim and then heat-stretch some red plastic sprue into a long thin hair, gluing it in place with just a couple of capillary action Tenax glue drops. I never could have painted such a consistent line like that.

120hvdy.jpg

Just cheap clear acetate material for the rear side windows and rear window (which have yellowed slightly with age). It's an entertaining silhouette, but I doubt if the rear spoiler would have anywhere near the same aerodynamic effect as on a coupe.

kd7c6c.jpg

2rhrzg7.jpg

I did well at the SWC that year, this wagon placed 3rd in the Miscellaneous category, while my http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-12144-0-51293100-1373871875.jpg got 3rd in curbside and my Bonneville Checker cab got 2nd in 1/43 & smaller - Street. Plus, it was a hoot to get pictured in Scale Auto's April '93 magazine coverage of the contest.

11ux7no.jpg

Your builds never ceased to amaze me Russell ............. and this is no exception ............... moving from Albuquerque to Phoenix didn't slow down your modeling habits at all ............. I think I liked your 3-wheeler the best B)B)

Edited by Old Coyote

• 4 years later...

Very neat concept. If they built a model of a Tahoe , I always wanted to make one into a cup car. Well I guess thats like doing a nascar truck without the bed, but with back  doors  and a 3rd seat covered area by an extended roof all the way to the back.

• 2 weeks later...