Model Cars Magazine Forum

question about late Gassers and 70's tire size

noname

I have two questions I'm hoping I can get some answers for.

1) Does anybody have any information about Gassers past 1972? I believe the Gassers class ended in 1972. What did it turn into?

2) I know that in 1971 you could get a slick as wide as 13.5 inches in tread width. I'm wondering if anybody has any info on slick widths for the recent years following 1971? Specifically, I'm wondering what time frame those slicks that come with many kits including Amt's 57 Gasser and Bantam Blast fit in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by noname

Hey noname!

I think that I can help you with your first question, not so much with the second one.

The Gas classes existed well past 1972. You could say that the actual Gasser classes were absorbed into the Altered classes and ran in Competition Eliminator after Modified Eliminator was axed in 1982. Modified was replaced by Super Gas. I believe that the IHRA kept many Gas classes intact through the '90s.

WF

Thanks for that 6bblbird. I didn't realise Gasser class existed that long. If I build an early-mid seventies Gasser I'll have to look at some pics to get an idea of a class designation. I have no idea how the weight breakdown or anything goes for that time period. Do you think folks would have used a Hydro Stick tranny into the 70's?

I have a few sets of those wide slicks I mentioned above and thought about using a set for a change. I was wondering what year they started making tires this wide. They are 16mm wide which should be the same as 16inches in 1:1 terms. Pretty fat stuff. Anybody got an idea?

Edited by noname

Thanks for that 6bblbird. I didn't realise Gasser class existed that long. If I build an early-mid seventies Gasser I'll have to look at some pics to get an idea of a class designation. I have no idea how the weight breakdown or anything goes for that time period. Do you think folks would have used a Hydro Stick tranny into the 70's?

I have a few sets of those wide slicks I mentioned above and thought about using a set for a change. I was wondering what year they started making tires this wide. They are 16mm wide which should be the same as 16inches in 1:1 terms. Pretty fat stuff. Anybody got an idea?

I'm sure that someone may have used a hydro stick in to the early '70s but you would find far more racers using 4 speeds with clutches, especially Chrysler "Hemi Boxes". A lot of non-competitive Pro Stock cars found their way into the A and B Gas classes using tires no wider than 12 inches. Sixteen inch wide tires would be way too large for any gasoline fueled car in the '70s.

WF

Thanks for your comments guys. If you look at a picture of the Willys used in the movie Hot Rod, you'll notice those tires are really fat like the 1/25 slicks I was talking about. I just don't know when they came into existence. And I don't know if they are 16" wide but they must be pretty close.

6bbl bird, I could always cut the Hydrostick off and tack on a 4spd. How would you label a later 70's Hemi Willys?