Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buick Nailhead from AMT 40 Ford

jbwelda

Somewhere here I recently read that the reissued AMT 40 Ford had a Buick Nailhead engine as an option, and as I have recently been hankering to build one of those, and I happened to have just that kit on the shelf (for conversion to R&R Resin El Matador by the way), I dug it out and took a look. Not much to write home about but the shape seemed decent and I always loved the vertical valve covers so why not. I don't have anything to put it in at the moment so I just used the kit supplied engine stand (a true classic) and set it on the shelf with some other engines (eg: Morgan/Rover/MG variant of similar design later lightweight Buick V8, and Revell front mount blower 283 from Mooneyes Dragster). Heres some pics some descriptions of what got used where:

iid5.jpg

ngw3.jpg

utrx.jpg

some stuff used:

parts by parks turned aluminum pulley set

detail master turned aluminum distributor (correctly wired to keep Don on his toes)

Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland 6-2 bbl carbs, manifold and curved intake stacks

scratchbuilt generator and bracket with parts by parks pulley

tony nancy nailhead exhaust pipes, tips drilled and only white glued on in case I want to use the motor for a build with more conservative exhaust system

wired and fuel lines plumbed though no carb linkages (just got a magnifier visor though so might start attempting that fine of stuff soon but no way am I attempting moving butterflies)

ay24.jpg

9zz1.jpg

man these macro photos are BRUTAL!

posed with its British cousin:

gb2x.jpg

thanks for looking and any comments cheerfully fielded!

Edited by jbwelda

excellent work, what kit did the 'rover' engine come from, i've wanted some of those to do some english customs and rods for ages

i'm part way through building the Revell Anglia van with full Jag running gear but i've always wondered if there was a buick/rover motor out there somewhere

the BMW Dixi/Austin 7 (Revell again i think) is just crying out for a V8 and what could be more english than shoving a Rover in there, has anyonme done it yet? i built a stock one and its cute as hell but i really wished i'd gone silly on it, next time maybe.

Edited by spotarama

bmw dixi eh?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52586&hl=dixi

meanfromfrontright.jpg

rightrearflash.jpg

the fan belt material is just Tamiya tape colored with a sharpie. not great but it serves the purpose.

the rover/morgan/mg motor is from southeast finecast of England, white metal and about the price of a whole kit if I remember right. worth it for the valve covers and Morgan exhaust system alone.

exhaust system can be adapted to many uses:

engineframerightrear4iz.jpg

or used as intended:

frontleft2pf8.gif

thames panel roughly as suggested in this thread:

fwgc.jpg

dunn.jpg

4l25.jpg

bmw dixi eh?

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52586&hl=dixi

meanfromfrontright.jpg

rightrearflash.jpg

the fan belt material is just Tamiya tape colored with a sharpie. not great but it serves the purpose.

the rover/morgan/mg motor is from southeast finecast of England, white metal and about the price of a whole kit if I remember right. worth it for the valve covers and Morgan exhaust system alone.

exhaust system can be adapted to many uses:

engineframerightrear4iz.jpg

or used as intended:

frontleft2pf8.gif

thames panel roughly as suggested in this thread:

fwgc.jpg

dunn.jpg

4l25.jpg

This is cool !!!!!

awesome builds on the thames and dixi, thanks heaps for the info on south eastern, i remember hearing about them years ago (pre-internet) and that they were making the rover V8 but lost the info back in the mists of time, i see some very english custom models in my future, shame they don't do a kit of the Rover P6 so i could build a model of my favourite car (that i've owned that is) and lets face it,a model can't be any less reliable than the car itself.........

i'll go and do some pix of my jag powered thames and whack them up here

cheers spotty

cheers spotty, sounds like you and me think along the same lines when it comes to cars! I took some pics of the southeast finecast V8 kit and the mini exotics lotus twin cam as seen in the thames, and will post them in the car kit reviews forum later this evening. keep your eyes peeled, you may be the only one interested!

oh yeah forgot to mention, do post pics of your jag powered one, love to see it. I wish I had put the V8 into the Thames but I don't think I had it at the time and I wanted to semi recreate a car I saw over in London a few years ago.

Edited by jbwelda