Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #7

GAZ-12 ZIM is a Russian limousine produced from 1950 till 1959. ZIM stands for Zavod Imeni Molotova, which reflects the factory's official name at the time. Models produced after 1956 did not carry the ZIM abbreviation anymore.

The cars all looked pretty much the same throughout the run, so anyone that guessed anything between 1950 and 1959 got it "right."

The winners:

zoom zoom

sjordan2

Mark Taylor

MikeMc

trogdor

mdlman1

Thom

chris pflug

badluck13

chillyb1

plumber

mr moto

junkman

Real or Model coming MONDAY!

Such a mish-mash of various American car styling cues, I wonder how it compares in size? Looks like it might be a size smaller than the US cars that it vaguely resembles.

Does anyone know if the Gilmore Museum in Kalamazoo still has the ZIL limousine on display, one of the few that is interactive and you can sit inside the car? I couldn't read the controls...:(

The answer: GAZ 12 Limousine (1950-59)

I suspected Eastern Bloc but couldn't find pics. The grille looks like a Cadillac, the hood and front fenders look like Buick. The doors and green house '49-'51 Merc. A cool car but I hate those wheels the owner put on it!

The same day I saw the the car was posted, there were photos from the '50s to the '70s in the English Russia site I subscribe to. This picture has the front end of one on the left side. I knew it had to be Russian or Eastern Bloc, but just couldn't find the answer.

msk196104-vi.jpg

Funny how we "Capitalist Pigs" influenced Soviet industrial design back then. Not that they would have admitted to it, though! B)