Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real or Model #145 FINISHED!

Real or model?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Real or model?

I mean don't say "I know it's a model (or it's real) because I found the photo at www.whatever"...

Oh, I see! :rolleyes: I also noticed that, while I had the first vote, George beat me to the first post! :lol:

Well, anyway, I think it's real, even though it really won't surprise me if you fooled me again with one of your real (expensive) diecasts! :lol:

The tough part is that I don't want to do any Google searches to look at 1:1 car photos on the off chance I'd run across the R-O-M photo in the process. Oh well...I'll just guess. "Model."

And that's the way the game is supposed to be played! B)

Anyone can do a google search and find the photo... after all, that's how I find the photo! But that's not the point of the game. It's supposed to be about looking at the photo, analyzing the clues, and judging "real or model," it's not a "find the photo" contest...:D

The toughest part is that usually there's a detail or 2 that you see and wonder "is that doodad really that shape on the real car?" It's tempting to look. This one was hard becasuse it's not like you see McLaren's driving to work in the morning...

Not even in and around la-la land? ;)

The toughest part is that usually there's a detail or 2 that you see and wonder "is that doodad really that shape on the real car?" It's tempting to look. This one was hard becasuse it's not like you see McLaren's driving to work in the morning...

What? You live in SoCal. If you don't see them on your daily commute, you're doing it wrong ;)

It has nothing to do with the car. The distance from the car to the wall seems right for the REAL DEAL. :D

Also, I know some might but most won't...Put that little screw in the amber lense.

Porsche 935 1:12 scale . Yup, some will. ;)

rearturnsignal.jpg

If it were a run-of-the-mill exotic (Ferrari/Lamborghini) this would be easier! Go stand outside and wait for one to drive by...maybe you'd need to wait 10 minutes! :D Plenty of those around. There's expensive cars, and there's seriously rare and expensive cars. I'm sorry to disappoint, but F1s are thin on the ground even here!

Mark, have you seen one? I never have, even at C&C and that is saying a lot. I've seen three Enzo's, 2 Veyron's, several Porsche GTs, even some Saleen S7's and a ton of Lambos and other Ferraris, but never a McLaren.

I just think it is very impressive ... the amount of photoshopping Harry goes to ... just to make this challenging.

I mean, I found the original picture and I think Harry worked hard to make this tough, changing the background and touching up little details here and there ...

Good job, Harry.

Burnt_McLaren.jpg

ph34r.gif

I've seen an F1 there exactly once. It came in an enclosed trailer, too...it got loaded in and out on Gateway (the street in front of the Mazda/Taco Bell corporate parking lot C&C is held in each week) meaning it drove all of 200 feet. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think it even had license plates on it.

The fact is, it says something to the rarity that there are more Ex-Schumacher (actual) Ferrari F1 cars that get displayed at Cars and Coffee on a regular basis than McLaren F1 road cars...

McLarens are rare; I've seen a handful, most of them the year I saw them race at Sebring, but I've seen a couple of the street cars as well. The pearl orange one that's been seen in some magazines was at a local dealership a few years ago sitting next to an Enzo. I didn't even look at the Enzo that day. I've seen a small handful of Enzos, and a trio of FXX's at Road Atlanta.

This weekend at Caffeine & Octane here the orange Ford GTX1 prototype was on display, the one that's selling for or sold for about a half million $$. I've seen it once before. Killer car...and there was a yellow Lusso w/race livery that must be new in Atlanta; it was previously owned by someone in the Netherlands. But Atlanta can't hold a candle to SoCal for interesting/rare cars per capita. We only get the big Caffeine & Octane show once a month, you have it every single weekend.