Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Doobie, Custom Mike, Ranchero Steve, Ningoth4, Foxer, Pharr7226,GLMFAA1,Burnoout and everyone else that has viewed this thread and the engine, I'll say it again, BIG thank you. Whenever I have a moment of doubt or question my sanity on one of my builds, I'll take a second and read your comments to get enthused all over again.

I stated a bit earlier that this thread will be quiet for a month or so but when I pick it back up and add new pics/comments it will be with the intent of providing progress pics and the way that I actually fabbed a given piece or part. In 3 years I've learned so many new build techniques and my next steep learning curve will entail setting up my new mill and begin the climb up that mountain. Can't wait.

Cheers and happy building to each and everyone of the members and visitors to this forum. btw, ANYBODY can scratchbuild. It's just how bad you want it. ;)

Codi……."Wow"…….un-real………talk about the new sheriff in town……..you fill those pants very well :)

I couldn't agree more that we have a new Sheriff in town.

Tim.... The work you do is simply amazing. That engine is Gorgeous and I can tell that there are many and I mean many hours into this and it shows. Seeing builds like this makes me want to go out and purchase the Sherline Lathe and End Mill I have been eyeing for some time. I am looking forward to seeing much more of your work on here. keep up the great work.

Hi guys,

Took some shots today of what the stance is going to approximate. The wing will have 2 identical struts. The one you see is a modified Peugeot 305 Racecar strut that I want to replicate in aluminum. The wing has a top element that unfortunately you can't see in the pics. The wheels are from MicroNitro and will be the ones in the build. The front tires are Goodyear Frontrunners and the slicks are from CompResins. I stated that I would start adding more as I delve into the chassis / body and interior and this is an important first step. I have to fab the rear and a few other elements before I begin the chassis fab. And a thank you for your comments. To Mooneyzs, I'm going to use my Sherline Mill on this build. I just got and will let you know how it goes. Let me know what you think and THANK you for your compliments. Cheers, Tim

HenryJTwinTurboStanceMockUp001-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboStanceMockUp010-vi.jpg

Hi, I posted a new pic of the stance I'm going for. A lot of time just to see what a 2mm drop in the backend does. But I think it's better and I'll work to setup the rest of the chassis etc. from here. Let me know what you think. And a typo was in my earlier post. The wing strut was a Peugeot 905 WEC racer, not a 305.

enryJTwinTurboRevisedStance006-vi.jpg

Thanks Stan I'm glad you like it.

Here are some pics of the inlet pop-off valve (each vane was punched out, drilled and glued onto a stainless steel tube...the hex looking base is an RB motion Hex fitting that I was able to craft into the base) The twin dry ice intercoolers are made from solid alum. stock with various PE fittings, alum. tube, RB A/N fittings and the scratchbuilt clamps again. The clamps are secured using the .5mm nuts/bolts. I had to slice the tubing that slips over the inlet pipes ever so slightly to be able to slip them on. The bottom tube of each inter takes the air from the turbo and the top pipe goes to the top of the intake plenum.

DryIceIntersandPopoffValves004-vi.jpg

DryIceIntersandPopoffValves012-vi.jpg

DryIceIntersandPopoffValves013-vi.jpg

My brain just shorted out. The conversation in my head went something like this:

"Nice pro mod or whatever engine, that must be what this guy is modeling his after."

"That's a model engine. Unreal, must be 1/8th or better."

"Wait, he only does 1/25th? must be an exception here."

"That IS a 1/25th engine. I... I... I don't know what to say."

-MJS

Hi,

Bill D. I've followed your work as well. I appreciate your comment as you're an excellent scratchbuilder in your own right. Can't wait to see you tackle that Hemi Cuda again.

Mike S. - thank you Mike for following along on my recent threads. Your latest post here made me literally laugh out loud. That's a very high compliment indeed. I want to tackle someday a 1/16th scale car as I've seen some of the other bulders work and it seems you can really go crazy. Granted, my wife thinks I'm crazy already. ;)

Cheers to all of you,

Tim

Oops, sorry Mike. All of my spindles are made scratch by hand (again, I've not learned yet how to use a mill or lathe...but soon) and the a-arms on my builds to date were made from annealed brass tubing. I then locate the spindles and drill em' out accordingly. The hardware I use is from R.B. Motion. The a-arms are cut dependent upon my layout (plastic "jig") and the wheelbase I want to attain. Tim

Thanks Carl & Andy.. I was ready to get into the build again with both feet, but I messed up a paint job on another project yesterday. So, sanding and re-paint are tops on the agenda now. I hurried at the end and you just can't do that when spraying Kandy. Anyways, my mill is almost set up and sometime soon I hope to have some new things to share on this build. Don't worry, this thread won't go "dead".

I'm thinking that I can driop the rear of the cars stance another 2mm. That'll put it truly into the weeds. But I do have to keep in mind the height of my motor.

Cheers,

Tim
:)