Model Cars Magazine Forum

Worst Ouch, Building a Model?

my most painful/bleeding was when i was (for some stupid reason) trying to separate a frame from the chassis bottom of a lindberg 61 impala. i was growing impatient and the #11 blade slipped from the model and cut my left index finger to the bone. i have minimal feeling to the left finger, but instead of going to the hospital i washed it immediately and did the hydrogen peroxide treatment then superglued it shut. i still have the scar from that.

The other incident involved me accidentally dropping the modelling knife.. it fell about 3 inches and stabbed me in my gut. i'm a fat guy so when i pulled it out, gravy came pouring out! nah.. no gravy, just a dabble of blood. :)

as far as the hobby knife rolling off the bench, i've learned to immediately push back and away from the desk and separate my legs so there's a 1% chance i may get stabbed by it.

Two - feminine hygene products are good for more than their intended use, don't be embarrassed to use what you gotta use!!

While on vacation in a friends borrowed condo , I broke the glass soap dish in the shower. Cut the top of my foot open, requiring 7 stitches, there were no bandages, thank god for the ladies "supplies" under the bathroom vanity. Not model related, just wanted to confirm that they work very well. :unsure:

Because of varicose veins on my legs, I've had to use some of those a couple of times. I've had some small blood vessels on the side of my ankle pop open and spray due to dry skin. Fortunately, my wife had some of those within reach so I taped one on over the wound. Worked really well, and everything healed up nicely afterwards.

Man, you have me cringing with each posting! Argh! So I am posting the following as a public service before someone here gets stabbed in their Bobbit.

IMG_3116-vi.jpg

I used to work on a drafting board prior to Computer Aided Design. The boards were tilted so things could roll off easily. See the two photos of my eXacto knife here to see how we prevented mechanical pencils and eXactos from rolling off the board.

Take a small piece of masking tape and make a 'wing' like in my photos. Now the eXacto doesn't roll at all, especially on a flat surface like a model bench.

IMG_3117-vi.jpg

Two - feminine hygene products are good for more than their intended use, don't be embarrassed to use what you gotta use!!

In addition to being an auto tech, I am also an EMT and have been for about 15 years. Maxipads and OB tampons are two of the things that I have in my trauma bags that are in all my cars and I have used them both numerous times to control bleeding on trauma patients. OB's are actually what are used in a lot of emergency rooms for bloody noses that aren't bleeding bad enough to cotterize.

Edited by Pro Wrench

Around 40 years ago I was using an electricians knife to cut a piece of plastic rod. When the blade finally made it through the plastic, it continued on into my thumb all the way to the bone. Being afraid to tell my mom, I wrapped it as tight as I could with toilet paper and black electrical tape. It finally healed on it's own but to this day, my thumb print doesn't line up where the scar is. Can't stress the using the right tool for the job and using it correctly!