Model Cars Magazine Forum

spark wires

• 10 months later...

.035" seems a little large to me. (.035" x 24 = .840")

.84375 is 27/32"

Most high performance plug wires are 8mm which is equal to only 5/16" (10/32") which divided by 24 is only .013"

Just sayin'. :)

He's absolutely right. I personally think .035" plug wires look like sausages. That's more than 3/4 inch thick in 1/25 scale. Mmmmm...sausages.... :lol:

This engine was done with some armature wire that I found at Radio Shack. It's .016" which is also a little too large but doesn't look all that bad.

skip07-vi.jpg

On this one I used Detail Master ignition wire which measures .015" and is closer to scale.

garlits01-vi.jpg

But I wouldn't use anything larger than either of these two.

I have used the regular DM wire before. It most likely scales out right, but it looks thin visually (thinner than thread). I think part of the job is scaling close and fooling the minds eye.

That's a good point. There are many times when something that is in correct scale size still doesn't "look" right. Sometimes dimensions and proportions just don't scale down. Like I said above, even though the Detail Master wires are slightly oversize, I think they look "right".

However if you look at any photo of a 1:1 scale engine the plug wires don't usually dominate the view like some model plug wires do.

• 2 weeks later...

this chart indicates #35 wire is .0056" diameter.

someone who is good at mathamagics - please check logic!

http://www.coasteltools.com/tech_wire_gauge_conversion_chart.htm

i deleted the arithmetic so no one else would get balled up!

Drew - nice rails. sorry, got lost in the numbers........

Edited by southpier

That's the hard way around, and incorrect. .0056" (actual measurement) X 24 = .1344 in full scale. WAY too small.

REAL, normal full-scale plug wires are about 8mm (high performence,heavily-insulated racing wire is fatter) or about .315". To get that in 1/24 scale, divide .315 by 24. You get .013". Use .013" diameter wire, which is 27 or 28 gage wire.

OR, the BEST STUFF I'VE EVER FOUND for production-car PLUG WIRES:

Econoflex Craft & Beading wire. .014" diameter, stainless steel, nylon coated in many colors, forms great and holds its shape, available at Hobby Lobby, Michaeis, etc. 30 FEET of the stuff for $3.47.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, if something is .5" (one-half inch) in full-scale, it will be .5 scale-inches in whatever scale you're in.

To say it another way, if something is .5" in full-scale, you DIVIDE .5" by whatever scale you're in to get the ACTUAL measurement. Something measuring .5 inches in full-scale, divided by 24 (for 1/24 scale) will give you an ACTUAL measurement of .021", which is .5 SCALE inches in 1/24.

I think a lot of folks may be overthinking this and making it more difficult than it is.

Going the other way, if you measure a piece of something on a model with your caliper and it is, say an ACTUAL .015", all you do to get back to scale-inches is MULTIPLY by the denominator of the scale you're working in. Our example: you measure something and it's .015". Multiply that by 24 (for 1/24 scale) and you get .36 SCALE inches, which is also .36 inches in FULL-SCALE (close enough to 3/8 of an inch in FULL scale).

That's the hard way around, and incorrect. .0056" (actual measurement) X 24 = .1344 in full scale. WAY too small.

REAL, normal full-scale plug wires are about 8mm (high performence,heavily-insulated racing wire is fatter) or about .315". To get that in 1/24 scale, divide .315 by 24. You get .013". Use .013" diameter wire, which is 27 or 28 gage wire.

OR, the BEST STUFF I'VE EVER FOUND for production-car PLUG WIRES:

Econoflex Craft & Beading wire. .014" diameter, stainless steel, nylon coated in many colors, forms great and holds its shape, available at Hobby Lobby, Michaeis, etc. 30 FEET of the stuff for $3.47.

The gauge size is for the wire itself, not including the insulation, so, the O.D. of the wire with insulation will be larger than .0056". But, it still may be too thin for plug wires.

The gauge size is for the wire itself, not including the insulation, so, the O.D. of the wire with insulation will be larger than .0056". But, it still may be too thin for plug wires.

Yes, the wire gage I mention is for BARE wire, which is why I went to the trouble to explain how to convert ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS to scale.

There is no substitute for MEASURING and UNDERSTANDING. Unless you're using BARE WIRE, the wire-gage is of no help at all. MEASURE.

The Econoflex O.D. MEASURES .014", which is the number you need to know....THE ACTUAL O.D., including whatever coating or insulation is present.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 1 month later...

Last week at Michaels I found in the beading section wire that is about the same size as Detail Master's race car ignition wire. It feels and works the same as the Detail Master wire. It is called "bead landing" stringing wire. It is 26 gauge, black and comes in 30 yard packs. It sells for $3.49 for each pack and with the 50% off coupon it is an even better deal!

Thanks, Bob. This is going to come in very handy.

Also, on another note; I want to point out that beading wire is uninsulated, which means you can use an AWG conversion chart to determine actual wire diameter. Electrical wiring, on the other hand, will have insulation which varies greatly in thickness depending on intended application. Wrapping, or magnet wire, used for inductors, guitar pickups or electro-magnets, has a thin enough coating as to be nearly insignificant to scale calculations. Hope this helps.

Edited by Shardik