Model Cars Magazine Forum

2nd WIP - 71 Daytona - Completed

dougp

• 3 weeks later...

Update 12/29/12

Just a quick update. Got the rear sway bar built and installed. It’s the only rear suspension component that’s stationary, otherwise the rear suspension is fully functional. With the sway bar being stationary I was able to set the rear ride height. Sorry I forgot to take pics during the mock up.

The scratch built Alerkation K frame coil over replacement front suspension went smoother than expected. I used front end components from an AMT 32 Phantom Vicki, parts box pieces and scratch built support frame. The kit frame shock towers where cut out of the frame and the phantom shock tower/control arm supports where weld into the stock frame. Rod and square styrene were used to build the new cross member and frame supports.

DSCN1581.jpg

Here the front end is assembled using white glue. The coil overs, tie rod ends and sway bar end links still need to be built. The spindles still need a little more work for attaching the tie rod ends. I’m really happy with how it turned out. The ride height worked out perfectly, sorry forgot to take pics while I had it mocked up.

DSCN1603.jpg

I’ve started on the interior now that most of the suspension work is complete. The kit dash and engine came equipped with A/C. My build doesn’t have A/C so I have to fill in the A/C vents on the dashboard. I’ve also drilled out the instrument bezels for placement of homemade speedo, tach and gauges. I’m not happy with the pedal placement and will rework those too.

DSCN1601.jpg

Thanks for looking...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update 02/12/13

I finally got the chassis done. I was trying to copy the Alerkation K frame upgrade and rear suspension components. I ended up with a hybrid of their different versions. It was tedious going with the use of ten big thumbs to build with, but I’m happy with the results. Here is the bare chassis detailed with the fuel/brake lines and rear sway bar.

DSCN1650_zps10e67b49.jpg

Rear suspension components in place.

DSCN1679_zps3312cbf4.jpg

DSCN1684_zps6a612aa6.jpg

Front suspension components in place.

DSCN1680_zpsb554ae69.jpg

DSCN1682_zps4c26b39d.jpg

Still working on the body. Had a set back on the body work. I dropped it and the seam between the nose cone and the right front fender cracked. Now I can seem to get it as smooth as the first time but I guess patience will prevail. The interior is started and should be done by the next update. Thanks for looking and enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Update 03/12/13

Just a quick update to let everyone know I haven’t given up on my build. Both my wip’s have had set backs with different parts ending up in the purple pond. Just wish the purple stuff didn’t clean off the body filler and putty as well as the paint. I got the engine mounted on the chassis and the a new exhaust system built. I used exhaust parts from the Daytona and Superbird kits to build this one. I added a cross over pipe and dumped the exhaust in front of the rear axle.

DSCN1689_zpsb21f673b.jpg

I finished the exhaust in Tamiya bare metal steel and weathered the entire system with a thinned Testors rust enamel wash.

DSCN1740_zpse3f0b267.jpg

Exhaust system set temporarily in place. I will glue into place after the body is in place.

DSCN1741_zps017466aa.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doug, even with your ten big thumbs, it looks great! The chassis is gorgeous, and good luck on the repairs to the nose cone, I know those kinds of headaches when it comes to body work all too well! Keep at it, it'll finally see things your way!

Thanks for the comments and support guys. I think I've finally got it together on the nose cone. The passenger side cone has been given me fits along with one side of the trunk lid where I used styrene rod to fill the original deck spoiler holes, but I think I finally got it beat. Got the final wet sand on the primer done last night and I'm just waiting to make sure it's completely dry before laying the silver base coat. The interior is almost done and I will post pics soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Update 04/08/13

Well the interior is finally done. I replaced the kit bench seat with the buckets from a 71 Plymouth GTX. I added seat belts front and rear, and the shifter is a Calnaga Castings piece: http://www.calnaga.com/index.html . I used embossing powder for the carpet painted with Tamiya matt black. The rest of the interior was painted in a combination of Tamiya mat black, semi gloss black, black and gloss aluminum. The seat/door inserts were brushed with a flat black wash. The gauges, SRT and Super Bee decals are homemade. Door handles and window cranks were bmf .

DSCN1743_zpsdf7ce4c9.jpg

DSCN1744_zps387a8662.jpg

DSCN1762_zps5f1e7cdb.jpg

DSCN1760_zpse0e25bf2.jpg

DSCN1758_zps4bc0bafe.jpg

Finally solved my issues on the front nose cone and the body is in paint. Thanks for looking...

• 1 month later...

nice, really nice. I did a kitbash between 2 scrap johan superbird bodies and an amt 69 gtx to make a superbird for my collection. i used the hemi from the gtx. It doesnt look perfect cuz like i said the bodies were pretty beat but its one of my favorites in my build collection. Keep this coming ill be takin notes..

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while. The body is painted, wet sanded and polished. I'm detailing the engine bay and headliner preparing the body for the interior and chassis. Here are a couple of teaser pics of the body before the wet sanding and polish. Hope to have this one done within the week.

DSCN2025_zps49587428.jpg

DSCN2027_zpse8e7bdc4.jpg

DSCN2028_zps25f670ff.jpg

Thanks for looking...

You want honest opinions, right Doug?

OK, I hate you, yours looks so much better than mine, you must have cheated! :lol:

Thanks Mike, but yours looks great too. I thought about doing a two-tone like yours, but I chickened out at the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...

She's finally complete and moved to Under Glass. Never thought I would see this day, she's been my Eleanor, always something going wrong or not working right no matter how much I planned, test fitted, etc. Thanks for everyone's support and enjoy...

DSCN2050_zpsa17cfe1b.jpg

DSCN2054_zps04ef1d5a.jpg