Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stallone´s "Over The Top" Autocar?

Hey guys

I was somehow badly bitten by truck-bug lately and have been looking for interesting truck models that I could add to my movie vehicle collection. A build of the "Blue Mule" is getting closer and closer to the finish line, a base kit for the "Duel" Pete is ordered and a "Convoy" Mack is added to the must-have-list. Another one I could see added to the list is the Autocar from Stallone´s "Over The Top".

IMCDB.org lists it as a ´65 A64B and comments on that page mentioned that it was a cement mixer before it was modified for the movie. AMT´s A64B has a set-back front axle and from looking at pictures it seems that the nose of the kit is wider than the nose of the movie truck. Has anybody on the forum ever attempted to build the movie truck or is it impossible with the Autocar kits that are available from AMT?

On a side note...

I´m totally not looking for resin conversion kits. Can this build be done with just modifying one of the AMT kits? If yes, which one would be the kit to start with? The build of the Blue Mule is my first truck model since I was a kid and I´m anything but a truck expert. I can scratchbuild, though. Any advice on this?

Best regards,

Kevin

The easiest way to build this truck would be using an Autocar A64B kit, a d a Diamond Reo kit.Using the hood top, sides, fenders, fender mounts, and radiator from the Autocar kit and transplant it to the diamond reo. You can build it all from the Autocar kit, but you would have to move the axle forward and modify the steering assembly. ( if you do it the other way, then you can build a heavy set back axle diamond reo after). Anyhoo, with some mods to the fenders( cut off the front flat section and move them forward) and some mods to the radiator( make it thinner and slightly narrower) it can be done. If you go to Tims Trucks site, Im pretty sure hes done this. Ive done it several times, but I dont have any pics to show you. When I use an Autocar as a resin donor, then I have the hood and fenders left, I buy a diamond reo and build a west coast Autocar. Ill send you some pics and info on this truck later today.

Also, on the rubber duck do not waste your money on the Ertl kit. Its not even the right model Mack. Dave Natale at AITM has made a complete correct kit. Its resin tho....... But for the price those kits are going for, and its the wrong truck.

@Terry:

Thanks for the information regarding the Autocar. Replacing an axle and doing some cosmetic work on the hood does not sound too scary. Buying two kits to build that one specific truck is no option. Stuff is too expensive in Germany and I wouldn´t have any use for the truck that could be built from the remaining parts. Looking forward to see pics of your Autocar builds.

And no worries, I´m not going to start with the "weird cab" Rubber Duck kit. From all the Convoy truck models that I´ve seen so far, those that I liked the most were modified AMT R-Models. The resin kit sure looks nice, but I´m not tempted to buy one. I´ve tried resin conversion kits twice. The first was a ´67 GT500 Eleanor from Scaleproduction and the second one was the cab for the Blue Mule. Resin is just not my material, I prefer plastic surgery.

@Sean:

I´ll upload pics of the Mule as soon as it´s done. This is the current state of the build:

3836323132333132.jpg

6265326533356439.jpg

Still need to do the interior and add some parts to the frame and the cab.

Cheers,

Kevin

That truck looks great man! That probably the best one Ive seen. Im sorry to hear that resin is not your fancy. It really opens up a whole new world of building. As a builder that has been plenty frustrated with resin at times, I can tell you that the right glue makes all of the difference. Do you have an Autocar kit yet? If not, I have plenty of all of these parts, plus diamond reos. I can put a kit together for you at a decent price.

Btw what part of Germany are you in? Going back to the mother land is on my bucket list.

@Terry:

I think I´m a little bit of a freak regarding resin stuff. It´s not that I´m having problems with glueing multimedia-kits. I´m using all sorts of glues that are useful. But I just like to go the traditional way of building scale models. My first model kit ever was an F-14 Tomcat in 1/144. That was in 1987 and I was six years old. I´ve had nobody to show me how to build a model properly and I wasn´t involved in online communities until 2009. Over the years I have spent quite a good amount of money for kits and have produced mostly junk. It´s been a long way of trial and error for me to build decent models.

Since 2009 I´ve seen modelers post pics of huge stashes of fancy tools and all stuff you can imagine. I have no dremel, no photo-etched saws and nothing else that nowadays seems to be ultimately needed to build a nice model. I have some scissors, a scalpel with #11 blades, a file, various sanding papers and some micro mesh and polishiing compounds to finish my car bodies without orange peel. I build models the prehistoric way...which is the way that I´ve successfully taught myself over the years. Resin is just another thing that I don´t really need. I use small resin items like carburetors and other engine parts. But no more transkits. I didn´t have problems with handling the resin body for the Eleanor build or the cab for the Blue Mule. I just don´t like resin all that much and prefer to stick to styrene. As I said...I´m a freak... :blink::)

I have no Autocar kit yet and I´d appreciate if you would put together a kit from your spare parts box. Are we talking about parts that are still on the sprues?

I´m located about eight miles from the Revell of Germany headquarter. Where did you or your ancestors come from?

@Alan:

I´ve used the chassis from AMT´s Kenworth K-123. That was the only thing I had available when I started the build and I´ve just used it as it was a COE like the Ford.

Edited by Stuntman Mike

Nice Blue Mule truck...I like the "Iron Lung" modification.

I agree with Terry, no one should waste their money on the old ERTL Rubber Duck kit, it's all wrong and almost nothing is usable to do the movie truck if you want to do it right...I bought the ERTL kit back in the day when it was new and started to build it, but it never got finished due to all faults and most of the parts were used elsewhere.

The AMT R model is a far better starting point and the AITM resin kit is based on that and it's very nice, the movie truck was a RS700L tho' so it has a longer hood than the AMT kit, it also has an Able Body 60 inch sleeper, an air foil for the roof, 2-hole budds, a bull bar, a duck hood ornament and some other stuff you have to supply from someplace...the resin kit has all parts needed to do a curbside truck...no engine.

Edited by Force

Heres my build of the same truck with pit fenders. The chassis was a built up road boss, the dump box is the modified trailer that came on a built up Mack DM800, modified to a rock style bed. It has a Peterbilt front bumper. Im going to finish it with some resin off-highway spoke wheels and tires.

post-13133-0-52355900-1401484387_thumb.j

post-13133-0-80792800-1401484408_thumb.j

post-13133-0-85231800-1401484426_thumb.j

@Terry:

Thanks for the pics and for pointing out the truck is a model A12064. I should try to get my hands on the DVD or BluRay for reference. Since the truck used in the movie was originally a cement mixer, there will be some stuff to be modified, wheelbase etc.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_56063-Autocar-A64-B-1965.html

@Hâkan:

I got some truck model junk from a fellow modeler as I needed some parts for the Blue Mule build. There was a set of 2-hole wheels included which I can use for the Mack build. I also have a rubber duck hood ornament in resin. I´ve bought a few when I´ve built my Death Proof Nova. The bull-bar is no problem, I love scratchbuilding stuff like that.

@Jim:

I think as a scale model the Autocar is way more interesting than the White.The White looks cool, though. Nice color scheme.

• 4 weeks later...

Just happened to stumble on to this pic. I have no info about it, except i know its the movie truck and its a shame that this apparently is how the stallone over the top autocar is gonna spend its retirement, take a minute to bow your heads

There were fhree of these used in the movie that were all cement mixers from what I understand. Theres also a photo of just the cab sitting on the ground.Im not sure if any of them survived, but they were used in a few more movies before being retired.

Yeah i did a little diggin, the cab was used for the in cab footage, somebody saved 2 of the trucks from the bone yard and the 3rd was re-painted silver and extra push bars and a sort of cage around the cab, far as i could find so far the 3rd remains in the bone yard