Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question? Need to strip a cab :(

Castrol super clean, purple power, easy off oven cleaner, brake fluid.

Ive used purple power, it worked great, let it soak for a few days, scrubbed with an old toothbrush and a little purple power and warm water.

Castrol super clean is harsh as is easy off, outside with rubber gloves, or youll remove the skin off your fingers.

What you are looking for is a concentrated degreaser. I use the ZEP brand from Menards . it was made by Rubbermaid for a while but they changed brands . It is purple in color and comes in a blue one gallon jug. Just find a resealable container that you can leave the cab sit in so that it will covered in the degreaser. I just poor it in straight.

As pointed out below USE GLOVES!

This is a link to what I purchased last http://www.menards.com/main/housewares/cleaners/all-purpose/zep-commercial-ultrapurple-degreaser/p-1977297-c-7097.htm.

Only 10.00 a gallon and it will last for years most of the time, just strain the big flakes of paint out and reuse .

Edited by 1930fordpickup

i use whatever houshold degreaser is on sale, or in front of me at the time, lol. most of it is the same stuff, and does the same job. if the paint isn't too old, it should come off quickly, once it starts to 'lift' hit it with an old tooth brush to help loosen more paint. if it's old paint, may take a few weeks to get off.

Agree with all of the above.

And take the advice about gloves seriously, most of these cleaners will remove the top layer of skin quickly and will cause irritation and with extended exposure can cause minor burns.

I'd suggest a pair of dishwashing gloves, they are cheap and reusable.

Purple power, thats the actual name on the label, is a degreaser, and both castrol and purple power are from the auto parts. I put my tub on the patio so if for some reason a cat or just accidentally it spills or gets knocked over it does make a mess in the house or garage, and here in southern cali the temps are warm in the shade, around 80 or 90

Another option is Dawn Power Dissolver, actually used for cleaning pots and pans. I have not personally used it for paint stripping yet, but a friend of mine has and said it worked as well as the purple power. I have used it to strip chrome, and it does that very quickly. A plus to, it has not harsh odors or precautions needed.

Well I picked up a jug of Zep degreaser and started the soak sat. night around eleven...we'll see how it goes!

Now for the root of my situation, I am still new, but I can't pass up a chance at some sort of stripe for this cab. The door/compartment lines and rivets are sort of in the way of successfully masking and painting without more leakage between colors than I can stand. Hence the bath! I read the other day that once the masking tape was applied to hit it with a shot of clear coat, then the color. Thought I would give that a try this time. Open to any more ideas from more experienced builders. Thanks!!

Ive read that some guys paint the base color, the color of the stripe. Use a good masking tape to resemble how you want the stripe to be, then clear it. Let it dry completely. Then spray the other color, unmask and clear again. They say the clear over the tape seals the edge. But be sure to let the 1st coat of clear dry completely, very important so it doesnt pull the edges up.

Edited by Petetrucker07

yup, put your base color on [color you want the stripe], let it dry/cure fully, then tape your stripes and clear it, then let it dry a bit and do your final color. let that dry, then un tape it. although this is a car, that's how I did this,

photo_zps6105a4a5.jpg

diamond dust silver, inca gold and flaming orange

So after a little less than 48 hrs. The cab came pretty clean!! The Zep cleaned it right down to the primer. I left it soak last night to loosen the remaining paint, (a few corners and what not) but a tooth brush was all it took to finish! Worked well, thanks again for the help!! Let ya all know how the new stripes go, hopefully if the next week or so!

• 2 weeks later...

Castrol super clean, purple power, easy off oven cleaner, brake fluid.

Ive used purple power, it worked great, let it soak for a few days, scrubbed with an old toothbrush and a little purple power and warm water.

Castrol super clean is harsh as is easy off, outside with rubber gloves, or youll remove the skin off your fingers.

castrol is some strong stuff dilute it using the guide on back of jug used it today cleaning some parts and used fast orange to clean my hands they smell weird now...i reccommend gloves or else your hands will feel soapy and even diluted will start tearin up your hands...i learned the hard way...lol