Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty '67 GTX

Scottnkat

This is my version of the '67 Petty GTX. All of my builds so far have been based on specific races, and the models have been decorated
to reflect this. For this car, there were a few different ways that the car was decorated (different stripes, different markings, different
sponsors, even different colored headlight covers). I decided to combine what I liked from a few different races and made this version.
As such, this is not based on any single race, but is just an amalgamation.

To summarize, the kit started as the Revell '67 GTX 2-in-1 kit. I removed all the trim from the body. I cut out the rear bench seat and
used sheet styrene to fill in the gap. I modified the side panels to represent sheet steel. I scratch-built the rollcage and dash inserts.
I modified the stock seat and added a bolster. I cast the wheels and tires and added valve stems. I wired the engine. I modified the
front suspension to work without the kit's inner fenders. The rear window straps and headlight covers are scratch-built. The exhaust
was made from styrene tubing. The grill was made from a reusable coffee filter that is no longer reusable. The intake manifold and air
cleaner were scratch-build. I made the hood pins, as well. The decals are from the old out-of-print Slixx sheet. On to the pics:

003a_zps38d7f442.jpg

004a_zps6cec6c9f.jpg

005a_zpsca117bed.jpg

006a_zps428210d1.jpg

009a_zps794d8bda.jpg

011a_zps34d83523.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

great build- i want to build a 66-67 but cant find a gtx body

For a quick, easy and nice build there's plenty 1967 Satellite/GTX's out there at a decent price. For the rivet counters, There are resin '66's out there as well as originals. To build either Petty 1966 or 1967 you need a 1966 Fury. Richard ran the '66 model both years and only massaged the front end sheet metal to resemble a '67 model car. I've recently seen a couple older kits, promos and resins for sale but they don't come cheap. Most go for $80 and up.