Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Revell's Squarebody Pickup kits

kalbert

I'd like to see the street pickup again... Would love to see the monogram blazer. 

I wish they would tool up an 81-87 fully trimmed out Silverado package 2wd short bed... But can't see it ever happening

• 2 weeks later...

As popular as the square body trucks have become in 1:1 these days I cannot believe there is not more resin parts and conversions out there for builders. I for one would love a mid 70's Chevy Crew cab for a car hauler project I want to do.

12 hours ago, R.J said:

As popular as the square body trucks have become in 1:1 these days I cannot believe there is not more resin parts and conversions out there for builders. I for one would love a mid 70's Chevy Crew cab for a car hauler project I want to do.

76 CrewCab

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Bullybeef said:

Does anyone know if the new revell monogram square body models are the same moulds as these? 

No, the 1/24 scale kits are originally Monogram designed kits, even if they are now labelled as Revell.

The 1/25 Revell kit hasn't been available for close to 15 years now, but it's entirely different than the 1/24 scale Monogram designed kit.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Nice proportions on the body, the rest of the kit is rather cheesy, especially those plastic poorly molded tires.

Monogram had some nice ideas back in the day, sadly they chose to go with poor execution and weak representations.

Actually, this is 1/25 Revell, back when they were a separate company competing against Monogram.

Monogram, Revell, and MPC each had their own squarebody Blazer (and/or Jimmy) kits.

Your are correct on the sub-par execution on these kits though.  Mid seventies through mid eighties was pretty much bottom of the barrel for Revell kit development and QC.  Through sheer luck they chose some subjects that no one else kitted, such as the Jeep J10 (Honcho), but they were usually oversimplified and had proportional problems.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, George Handley said:

Amazingly nobody has made a square body stock lwb chevy pickup- one of the most popular trucks in history.

Agreed. I was expecting a good AMT version back in mid 70's after the Ford pickup came out. IMO, this is another reason why this company fell into hard times, they passed up on the most  popular GM pickup to date and did this thing.  Maybe Moebius will give it a shot someday. IMO, the best we have now is the MPC stepside  and  the good aftermarket resin fleetside beds.

s-l1600 (44).jpg

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I've said it many times that these square bodies, deserve all new tooling also some of the design costs can be shared by doing some of the models in 1/35th scale too. The same can be said for the same era Dodge pickups and derivatives.

i would agree 100%. these trucks have some of the nicest style their simplicity. They are my favorite truck design of all generations of trucks. if these trucks got a new tooling to make them more modern and detailed, i would buy several myself. 

The square bodies have definitely been getting attention lately in diecast, a bunch of nice ones from Greenlight, M2 and Auto World in the last year or two.  Maybe their success will inspire a kit company to do something...the demand is there, I would think.  

Slightly OT, but Squarebody GM Picups are beginning to really rise in the 1/1 world too.

Especially here in Cali, where the pre '75 Trucks are starting to go for serious prices.

(Due to California's arcane Smog/Emission's laws, Pre ''75 anything, do not have to be smogged every two years)

Thus the popularity.

Besides, to those of us a certain age (Mid '50's), the'73-'87 GM's & the '73-'79 F-150s were the type exemplar of New Pickup trucks for most of our you lives. It makes complete sense that they would be gaining nostalgia Brownie Points now.

Man!  Now that is a great kit! It has Faust's Sunset Graphics, and a Faux Big Rig grille. Stack, Sleeper and an air foiler on the roof. It just doesn't get better than that. Add some Resin Wheels and Modern Tires, and you have the ultimate puller for you Galaxie 32' trailer.

Oddly, that Big Six is configured exactly the way a US DOT Legal Hot Shot truck has to be. At least if it is a One Ton. One Ton trucks when used as Hot Shot trucks are governed under Big Rig Regs, and have to have a sleeper, and run DOT Logs.

You can run a 3/4 ton Hot Shot truck to avoid having to run logs, but then you run into GVR and Payload limits.

This kit is simply Amazing. I almost want one.

• 8 months later...