Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring Cars, Yay or Nay?

That Javelin with the Minilite wheels is a natural classic- that's what the AM team used in Trans Am racing back in the day.

As for "Pro Touring", I can take it or leave it but in most cases I would rather leave it. I feel the same about "Pro Street". Too often, it's just too much, for my taste. "Overkill", if you will. And I don't think either genre will be considered a classic in the future, but that's just my opinion. For the same reason, I don't care for a lot of the customs of the '50's and '60's. Almost like the van trend of the mid '70's- too much is just too much. Again, just my opinion.

As an old guy, I would prefer my '60's or '70's muscle car to have the classic look of the times. Slightly jacked in the rear, slightly lowered in the nose, 5 spoke Americans or slotted ETs, "big fat tyres", Turbo mufflers... It wouldn't bother me if it couldn't stop on a dime or do >1G on a skid pad; if I want a car to do that with the necessary cash outlay involved I would buy something contemporary. But, in any case I would want enough torque to do burnouts at every light :)

I`m no fan of pro street because it would be a nightmare to put it back into stock with all the bodywork done. Also i dont see the point with the huge rear tires as for handling and performance. I have more faith in mixture of rubber. I have to point out i have no experience with drag racing,but when i see street legal cars close to stock run high 9`s on 1/4 mile with street slicks i hardly doubt it would perform any better tubbed with huge ballons in the back.

Pro-street look mean and brutal,but i think it`s more show than go in many cases.

All these genres have their place and fans. I am always amazed on how so called "Car Guys" love to bash others who do not comform to their vision of what is right.

Have fun, build it if you can afford it and drive it. That is my criteria. I don't like trailer queens.

Would you rather see a P-51 Mustang in a museum or blasting by on the deck at full song? ;)

All these genres have their place and fans. I am always amazed on how so called "Car Guys" love to bash others who do not comform to their vision of what is right.

I am not sure in what you mean by "so called car guys", but "bashing" as you call it, is the American way. we all love cars, just our style more than others. if everyone conformed to one way, it would be pretty boring... and there is no "right".... just likes and dislikes

I love football, I hate the steelers and "BASH" them any chance I get. (GO BROWNS)

I like pro touring and pro street! But, just like every genre going, there are those that are over-the-top. I see it all of the time with pro touring, pro street, rat rods, donks, etc. There is such a thing as too much IMO. Personally, I can't stand factory stock. I don't understand how anyone can look at a car from the factory and see no way of improving it. :huh:

For me, those are a Big "Nay"!

Honestly said, I think a Old School car looks horrible with wheels bigger than 15" and/or Low profile tires. They just look horrible. Same thing with the modern "Plastic covered" LS Engines. Nay!

Here I'd say that Old School Is Cool!

Well both Yay and Nay.

Some cars looks pretty good with bigger than 16" wheels (like '67-'69 Camaros) but some cars don't ('50s cars with those huge rims, yuck!) . And what came with those engines well I'm guy how respect old school and like it most but sometimes it's nice to see car with LS engine under the hood (like '80 Camino for example) than that 140 horse power 305 under the hood. :rolleyes: But theres also those cars what don't need plastic covered LS engines or something new under the hood. Like all 50's cars.

Edited by ChevyCoupe41

Would you rather see a P-51 Mustang in a museum or blasting by on the deck at full song? ;)

Definetly the latter! We have a local businessman that restores vintage planes, one of which is a P-51 (Lil' Margaret). I've seen him fly here, hard to beat the sound of a Merlin running wide open!

Factory stock is fine, but, pretty boring. And not all of the Camaros where SS, RS or special, other than being Camaros.

It is all up the owners and their likes, and if you do not like them, then move on. I do.

Well said.

Seriously, is anyone actually going to go, "Gee, I'd better not build one, or the Internet might not like me anymore!" ?

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Definetly the latter! We have a local businessman that restores vintage planes, one of which is a P-51 (Lil' Margaret). I've seen him fly here, hard to beat the sound of a Merlin running wide open!

Now imagine what 4 sound like.

In the old days (before overflying the crowd at airshows was banned) the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial flight used to fly their Lancaster over the spectators at zero feet. They'd approach from behind while your attention was distracted by the Spitfires and Hurricanes flying up and down the runway.

Edited by zenrat

Have fun, build it if you can afford it and drive it. That is my criteria. I don't like trailer queens.

And the answer is....P-51 Mustang blasting by on the deck at full throttle!!!!

Edited by 69NovaYenko

In case of Mark Stielow's work I say YES YES YES ..... YES!

That guys does some incredible work. I have read his book/how to manual and it is a very well written and illustrated piece. And he does it all without a lift if I remember right, only jack stands!

There is big differnce between a retro mod/pro touring car and a full blow Pro Touring G-force car. The G cars are made to show/go and beat the living BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of and still drive down the road! Kyle Tucker from Detroit Speed drove his Goodguys National winning camaro from NC to Columbus ohio and still put on a heck of a show and drove home. If they don't have a 4 point cage or better then they're not a G car!

For Pro Street guys come on all you did was take the 70s street machine and tucked the tires under the rear fenders and still only can do a straight line with it!

Not really sure why people are getting so worked up over this, it is just a simple opinion. Some like them, some don't, nothing wrong either way. For those that do like them, here are a few pics of some of my favorites from the Goodguys show I attended in Pleasanton, CA yesterday. Didn't think to bring the camera, so sorry about the cellphone pics. :mellow:

E41A0261_zpsdcf48714.jpg

E41A0263_zpsba20dcc8.jpg

E41A0264_zps0d8aed4a.jpg

E41A0266_zps4846cabd.jpg

E41A0267_zpscca9c4c5.jpg

E41A0268_zpsba33cc0d.jpg

For Pro Street guys come on all you did was take the 70s street machine and tucked the tires under the rear fenders and still only can do a straight line with it!

exactly!!! best way from point A to point B is a straight line......