Model Cars Magazine Forum

Most Swoopy car to you ?

This 1938 Phantom Corsair prototype could be a blood brother to Simone.

"The Phantom Corsair is a prototype automobile built in 1938. It is a six-passenger coupé that was designed by Rust Heinz of the H. J. Heinz family and Maurice Schwartz of the Bohman & Schwartz coachbuilding company in Pasadena, California.[1] Although sometimes dismissed as a failure because it never entered production, the Corsair is regarded as ahead of its time due to its futuristic features and styling cues such as faired-in fenders and a low profile."

Phantom_Corsair_Six_Passenger_Coupe_1938

Alas, there never was a real Simone. It was an original creation for the Franklin Mint. Still a neat story, and a cool design.

Very interesting to do a web search on it. There are inconsistencies in dates, spelling and attributions in the Franklin Mint article that give it away, but you have to be watching for them. Any articles to be found on the web are uncredited direct quotes from the Franklin Mint article itself! A classic InterWeb Meme. I almost fell for it (if you were there I briefly had posted a summary of the Franklin Mint article, then suspected a rat and blanked it out). There is no movie The Clearing Cloud and Guy De La Roche is a 1950's fashion designer (or a 13th century French count...). There is a cosmetic firm called La Roche-Posay based in the epinomous town in France which makes skin preparations based on the mineral waters found there... etc., etc. Great fun!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Speaking of Mercedes 500K - 540K that blunc mentioned...

Swoopy

500KCaracc-BW.png

Swoopier

ecclestone500K.png

Swoopiest

Mercedes-Benz-540-K-Spezial-Coupe_1copy.

If you have the Monogram kit of the third car, study the picture carefully and you'll see 2 of 3 major mistakes (the third is that the kit's rear window is too small).

Edited by sjordan2

Swoopy as defined by Norman Timbs:

1948_buick_streamliner-1024x768_zps7e1c3

Buick-Streamliner-back-front-580x438_zps

1948-Buick-Streamliner_2_zpse6d24139.jpg

1948 Timbs Special. Often misidentified as a Buick Streamliner, the only thing Buick about this car is the straight eight engine and transmision. The suspension is '47 Ford (modified) and everything else was designed and fabricated by Norman E. Timbs and associates.

Swoopy as defined by Norman Timbs:

1948_buick_streamliner-1024x768_zps7e1c3

Buick-Streamliner-back-front-580x438_zps

1948-Buick-Streamliner_2_zpse6d24139.jpg

1948 Timbs Special. Often misidentified as a Buick Streamliner, the only thing Buick about this car is the straight eight engine and transmision. The suspension is '47 Ford (modified) and everything else was designed and fabricated by Norman E. Timbs and associates.

OK, put this picture right next to "Swoopy" in the dictionary. :D

I've always liked that car. B)

The more I see the, the more I like them.....and I've seen a few of them out in St. Charles and Geneva! Talked to a customer a few weeks back that has one with the big battery in it and he told me that they took it on a road trip to Detroit and made it all the way from here to Ann Arbor, MI on one charge! If I had the money, I would love to have one as a daily driver!

Forgot about this one until reading about it cleaning up at NHTSA crash tests B)

2012-tesla-model-s-fd.jpg

lead5-2012-tesla-model-s-fd-1347337015.j

If you want to talk Electric car Swoopy, I prefer the Fisker Karma.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XtP4gJdAOrg/T-vGSp1mOyI/AAAAAAAAAr8/mPdhC55P4jM/s1600/Fisker-Karma.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/2009-fisker-karma_100170420_l_opt.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz1zzzsQ0RZD9WT3riyaiHatS3q20OQ-Cl5BCAekyXt8_fFaiG

Every day cars are sometimes swoopy. My grandfather had one of these when new and I just loved it. It prompted me later to buy one of these.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-VZwXDPib0nDB2-zvsqF6CHypYgduCXzCGFuL8etCNsPQ9w_5ww

If you want to talk Electric car Swoopy, I prefer the Fisker Karma.

The Fisker Karma is extraordinarily impressive - and agressively swoopy - when seen "in the metal". Too bad the company is struggling and in near bankruptcy. They spent some $1.3 billion including $193 million of US taxpayer's funds and just now received an offer from a German investment firm to be bought out for $25 million. They are in the process of laying off 75% of their staff. But, as I say, a drop dead gorgeous car when seen on the road!

2010-Fisker-Hybrid-Sport-Sedan-manu-01-8

I've never liked the grile either, but the interesting thing is that the overall presence of the car on the road is so strong that the grille actually makes sense "in the flesh". Not obvious in photos is how low the overall height of the car is, unusually so for a modern sedan. More in line with radical 70's cars like the Aston Martin Lagonda (up there among the Anti-Swoopy cars of the origami school). So the corny, toothy "grin" is in keeping with the agressiveness of the thing. But I would have preferred something more subdued to go with the car's graceful lines.

Here's a different look for the Karma - the finish shows off the curves - yes, it's a wrap...

8081498839_6caa40c83d_b.jpg