Model Cars Magazine Forum

Most Swoopy car to you ?

I am now mightily curious. When there are so many really beautiful, well proportioned and creatively styled cars in the world to look at and learn from, and to provide inspiration, how is it that so many mediocre and even ugly cars make it into production?? :huh:

Compromises. What looks good isn't always safe, easy to get in and out, safe in a crash, comfortable to drive, etc.

That's what makes the great looking cars which did make it through to production classics. :)

This, to me, is swoopy:

amx2.jpg

Casey nailed it. Compromise. The more people with input into a design, the more generic it will turn out.

Many of the classic "swoopy"cars posted here were the work of one single man who had the free reign to bring his vision into production. Nowadays they have entire "design teams" that work on a car, from the external styling to the interior, dash, seats, etc. It's all "design by committee" these days.

It's all "design by committee" these days.

As they say a camel is a horse designed by a committee.

What are they thinking?

Lincoln has an identity crisis now. With the demise of the Panther platform, theTown Car and the Crown Vic. are long gone. Mercury is history as is the Grand Marquis. Nothing left in the line up has anywhere near the appeal of the older models. Look at one current car and tell me what the target demographic is.

Cadillac has added and added gee gaws and doo dads enough to make the space shuttle pilots think twice. Again whats their demographic? Old retired guys? Mob guys? Can't tell by looking.

G

Young guys, they seem to be aiming for the affluent 50 and younger crowd with the latest stuff and an old cop car and it's platform mates won't cut it for the Gen X and younger folks. Crown Vics and the related Grand Marque and Town Car seem kinda geriatric compared to the newer stuff coming out from both Lincoln and Cadillac. I really like the new body lines of both brands and I hope Ford can save Lincoln from going away like Mercury, it will probably take moving the brand away from the retirement home parking lots and Mob ruled areas to do so.

Lincoln is trying to rebrand itself as more of a "stand-alone" company (Lincoln Motor Company) than a subsidiary of Ford. They are desperate to bring the age of their average customer down from retiree. I think the "old man's car" mentality is part of what killed Mercury, so now Ford is trying to make the Lincoln brand "hip." Of course the reality is that Lincolns are still nothing more than re-skinned Fords with a higher price.

We'll see how it goes...

Lincoln is trying to rebrand itself as more of a "stand-alone" company (Lincoln Motor Company) than a subsidiary of Ford. They are desperate to bring the age of their average customer down from retiree. I think the "old man's car" mentality is part of what killed Mercury, so now Ford is trying to make the Lincoln brand "hip." Of course the reality is that Lincolns are still nothing more than re-skinned Fords with a higher price.

We'll see how it goes...

And Lincoln is trying to rebrand itself using awkward styling cues from the late 30s, such as their ugly new grilles that only a few could get.

And Lincoln is trying to rebrand itself using awkward styling cues from the late 30s, such as their ugly new grilles that only a few could get.

The cars are downright uncomfortable to drive as well. The MKZ is small and the MKS has issues with the waterfall console. Again this is good?

G

• 1 month later...