Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 nostalgia top fuel

comp1839

# longing for something past

# The term nostalgia describes a yearning for the past, often in idealized form. The word is a learned formation of a Greek compounds, consisting of νόστος, nóstos, "returning home", a Homeric word, and ἄλγος, álgos, "pain" or "ache". ...

# First appearing in Romania under the name Visul ("The Dream") in 1989 with Cartea Româneasca Publishing House, having been mangled by censors, it appeared in its full form as Nostalgia in 1993 under Humanitas. It was thereafter translated into French, German. Hungarian. ...

# (nostalgia), is a 38 minute 1971 film by artist Hollis Frampton (1936–1984). The film is composed of still black and white photographs taken by Frampton during his early artistic explorations which are slowly burned on the element of a hot plate, while the soundtrack offers personal comments on ...

Office Chairs | Chairs

UMMMM...????? what a dip! :lol:

Dave,

your models are top drawer man.

I was wondering how you go about making your tyres - I'm starting to look at making the rubber for my Lotus 25 this weekend (a free Saturday my wife hasn't booked up - yehaaa)

bigAL

al, i start with a 5" diameter piece of neoprene.

001-3.jpg

i square both sides of the piece to the proper width. next i remove most of the center w/ a hole saw.

008-4.jpg

then a 2" cutter to finish the i.d.

009-4.jpg

then do a step cut to make the outside of what would be the tire bead. then a corner rounding bit for the inside radius of the side wall. then i use a corner rounding bit for the outside radius of the sidewall.

003-2.jpg

when you're done.......bam....some big ole' tires.

005.jpg

hope this helps.

Dave, You are insane!!! And that, my friend, IS a compliment! I see some top notch high quality masterpieces here. I am in awe of your work! :lol:;) My first though, following the thread, after seeing the AA/FA car was, "Now you owe him five shirts...". :blink::D

Edited by Wagoneer81

sanity, is something i've never been accused of. thanks for the kind words. if you liked the AA/FA and the nostalgia top fuel dragster, i hope you'll like the top alcohol dragster and the pro mod 'cuda i'm currently working on. now about those shirts........

• 4 weeks later...

sjordan2, this would be the dip rommell was refferring to.>>>> varadarajan, on 14 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

rommell, i really admire your attitude. you asked what equipment would i suggest for you to start off with. that's a tough one. you need to look at how much can you spend, how much room do you have, what machining abilities do you have now and are you really going to stick with it. don't forget that it's not just the cost of the equipment , it's all the tooling that goes with it. if you are really serious i can make some suggestions. i really enjoy my equipment (although some of it's pretty old) i couldn't get along with out it.

sjordan2, this would be the dip rommell was refferring to.>>>> varadarajan, on 14 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

rommell, i really admire your attitude. you asked what equipment would i suggest for you to start off with. that's a tough one. you need to look at how much can you spend, how much room do you have, what machining abilities do you have now and are you really going to stick with it. don't forget that it's not just the cost of the equipment , it's all the tooling that goes with it. if you are really serious i can make some suggestions. i really enjoy my equipment (although some of it's pretty old) i couldn't get along with out it.

Couldn't stop myself from responding to this Dave, great answer but what the question really boils down to, at least in my mind, is "how high is up".

Sure, if the old piggy bank can handle all the hi-tech equiptment, that's a wonderful thing indeed....but to build on your level the individual has to be dedicated enough to treat each individual part as a model in itself.....in other words the tools are just that...tools.

The magic is in doing the leg work to know exactly what does what and where it belongs. I do believe I could give you a Q-tip as a tool and a ball bearing for stock expecting you turn it into 1/8th scale blower pulley. The tools just make the journey easier.

Couldn't stop myself from responding to this Dave, great answer but what the question really boils down to, at least in my mind, is "how high is up".

Sure, if the old piggy bank can handle all the hi-tech equiptment, that's a wonderful thing indeed....but to build on your level the individual has to be dedicated enough to treat each individual part as a model in itself.....in other words the tools are just that...tools.

The magic is in doing the leg work to know exactly what does what and where it belongs. I do believe I could give you a Q-tip as a tool and a ball bearing for stock expecting you turn it into 1/8th scale blower pulley. The tools just make the journey easier.

I am a man of exacting detail I treat every part of my builds as a build within the build. The dedication has been with me all my life and I have always reached out to better my skills in model building. The tools are a big part of building, "the right tool for the job" is a quote i remember my grand dad telling as a kid. I may not know how to use the tools suggested but it never stops me from learning how to use them. please feel free to check any of my builds my friend and you will see that my dedication does not lack in the per build area. So yes Dave I would like some suggestion from you as to which direction I should travel in serch of proper tools to up my skills to the next level. Lets just assume cost is not an issue. Thx for your reply GrandpaMcGurk and talk to ya soon. Romell

Edited by Aftashox

don, you're makin' me blush here. that was really, a very nice thing to say. thank you. i'm not sure i deserve it but, it was, really nice.

ok. rommell, i'll tell you what i would buy. remember everyone, these are only MY choices. YOUR choices may/will vary with your knowledge, needs and experience. first on the list is a vertical mill (bigger is better). you'll need the basic starter set i.e vice, collets, hold down set, assortment of end mills. i reccomend center cutting end mills when possible, also you'll need an assortment of ball end mills, corner rounding end mills, some tapered end mills, letter-number-fractional drill sizes etc. i would absolutely equip it with a digital readout. later you'll want to get a rotary table (bigger is better) possibly equip it with a bolt on three jaw chuck (bigger is better). you see a common theme here. bigger is better. i often start out with a piece of 4" round bar to make some of my pieces. when you work with larger material you'll need the damping of a big machine or you'll be forever taking little tiny cuts. a larger table top unit would even be good. i wouldn't get one of the little tiny ones on the extruded aluminum bases. it would take forever to do anything of size in one of those. i'm NOT saying there bad. i'm just saying there too small for what i do.

if you do you homework, keep your eyes and ears open you can find some terrific deals on a full size vertical mill. $5,000 or so will get you a new enco unit. bridgeports, i think, start in the $10,000+ zone. i'm getting old so they might be higher. so, i'd look for a good used one. you might be able to get one with all the stuff i mentioned for less than a new enco unit. so shop!!!!

you really didn't expect this to be a cheap proposition did you?

next is a lathe. once again bigger is better. here experience will dictate options. can you run a thread? do you need to do tapers? i'm getting ready to put a digital readout on my lathe. i will always recomend digital readouts. they make life so much easier (not to mention the accuracy thing) my lathe is 13"x36". not huge but it works for me. i'd also get a collet setup. collets run true, chucks don't. so, you might want to get a lathe with quick change chuck option. i also use a quick change tool post. i have dead and live centers for the tail stock and a couple of drill chuck options. yada, yada, yada.

you'll need some dial calipers, micrometers, dial indicators, and dial test indicators to start. you gotta measure all this stuff you're making.

i should have probably said this earlier. if you have no experience with these machines , i highly reccomend taking some classes or something. it's not just learning how to machine, it's the saftey factor. trust me, these things can kill you in an instant. maiming people is a hobby for these machines. it takes only a second of not concentrating on what your doing and zing ....there goes your finger. i had an aquaintence of mine lose half his scalp when he got his hair caught in the spindle of a vertical mill. so get some training..... some where..... some how.

so....there ya go. jump on in the water's fine. LOL!

d only

I agree with your comments Don. Dave is a quality guy, not only because of what he does, but because of who he is. Despite his amazing skills as a scratchbuilder, he is the first one to offer support and complement us "little guys" for what we are trying to accomplish in our builds.

I'd like to add a few comments of my own, not necessarily for Romell, but for anyone who is interested. I've learned that we need to push our own limits with the tools and abilities we possess. Not to take anything away from the "Dave's" of our hobby, but we've all seen some incredible builds by folks who use their imagination, styrene and metal scraps, glue, solder and paint etc. Heck, there's one guy who makes killer moon disc's useing the bottom of a pop tin. Here's my point........before you go out and spend thousands of dollars on machinery, push your limits a bit more and get creative with the tools and goodies you've already got. Use your imagination!

Final comment.......the great thing about our hobby is that we're all individuals and no matter what level we build at, we can learn from each other.

Romell.........if you haven't already picked it up, get "Tabletop Machining". Its a great resource.

Edited by arick

romell, haven't heard any response. hope i didn't scare you off. LOL. you did say "let's just assume cost is not an issue." there are some nice table top mills you can get for under $1500 and i've seen some lathes for under $1000 that would probably be acceptable to do 1/8 scale work. once again people, realize these are MY choices. i'm sure some of you out there are doing fine with smaller or less expensive units.

romell, haven't heard any response. hope i didn't scare you off. LOL. you did say "let's just assume cost is not an issue." there are some nice table top mills you can get for under $1500 and i've seen some lathes for under $1000 that would probably be acceptable to do 1/8 scale work. once again people, realize these are MY choices. i'm sure some of you out there are doing fine with smaller or less expensive units.

Dave, I think the best thing that Romell could do is chat with Mario, he does amazing stuff with equiptment that is within the means of serious modelers and when needed makes his own. I'm not attempting to hi-jack your thread but having bought my fair share of Bridgeport equipment (in another life) it can't be beat. If Rommel wants me to hook him up with Mario, I'd be more than happy to.

you are, of course, probably right don. my equipment wasn't purchased to build models. since i've stopped racing for the past few years, model building has helped fill the time void. hence, my veiws and opinions are a little jaded. here's two of my favorite reason's i have the equipment i do.

04keys-1.jpg

009.jpg

I've spent many hours over the last year lurking in your photobucket. I'm still amazed every time I look at your work. I'm also interested in learning how to machine and I thought I would start with taking a class. I've seen more than my fair share of horrible injuries over the years. So learning how to use equipment properly is extremely important to me. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding a machining class in my area that's convenient for my schedule. Maybe I should get started by picking up a book or a video?

Edited by pharr7226

• 2 weeks later...

rick and derrick, thanks for the comments. rick, pick up as much literature as you can. i'm always learning something new. i think machining your own parts could be the best thing that happens to a modeller. the sense of accomplishment is second to none. it also gives you a new appreciation for the parts that you do buy.