Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 scale 1929 Tudor Sedan

old-hermit

LOL. I wish I had that skill. I'll bet it would be a huge seller. Of course, a 1/8 scale late 40's or early 50's Cadillac would be pretty cool, too.

I remember when George Z was going to release a 1/12 or 1/8 scale '49 Merc. I was drooling over that one and had my order in.....then he passed away. I wonder what happened to those molds??????

LOL. I wish I had that skill. I'll bet it would be a huge seller. Of course, a 1/8 scale late 40's or early 50's Cadillac would be pretty cool, too.

Yea a 331 Caddy would be cool. Closest thing I have are valve covers and an intake that I mastered to convert the Big Deuce Pontiac engine into an Olds Rocket.

6-vi.jpg

I remember when George Z was going to release a 1/12 or 1/8 scale '49 Merc. I was drooling over that one and had my order in.....then he passed away. I wonder what happened to those molds??????

I don't know about the molds but a few of the bodies are still around. This is the 1/8 Merc I was talking about that I had the hub caps made for ...

Mod1-vi.jpg

Edited by old-hermit

The floors in the real cars are wood so I figured why not.

After cutting a piece of plywood to fit inside the body I soaked it in water and clamped it onto an old Deuce frame I use for mock ups.

000_6784-vi.jpg

When it dries it will comform to the curve of the frame.

000_6785-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
how do you pack to transport your cars?

Not very well obviously !!! :wacko: What did the damage was a rather deep pothole that I couldn't avoid. The added weight of a resin body on an already fragile plastic suspension didn't help either.

Here's what I do with any of my large scale cars. I put a folded layer of cotton flannel under the center of the car to hold the weight off the wheels. Then, I fold or roll pre-sized (cut) flannel pieces that go alongside and in the front and rear of the car. All those keep the car from shifting in any direction. Depending on your paint, and whether you want anything up against it, you can add another layer of the rolled flannel along the body. My first layer only goes up as far as the wheels so I don't mark the paint if it sits in the box for a long time. You really don'y need aything above the car, and just doing the sides keeps delicate parts up top from being pulled or broken off.

I have been using the 10 gallon aquariums to transport my 1:16 or 1:12 cars, but obviously a 1/8 takes something larger. Since my wife started her dialysis we have an abundance of very heavy cardboard boxes that are about 16X12X12....perfect for 1/12 or smaller. They are much lighter than the glass fishtanks and can be easily stacked or stored. I've done two cars side by side with the flannel around and in between, but I found out the hard way that those plastic bins you get at stores have to be much deeper than just a couple of inches from the roof of the cars because they will bend down and touch the roof or antennas.

But the big savior of my large models is definitely the flannel...and getting the wheels off the bottom of the box.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

love the merc, and the 28 sedan to.

been trying to find anywhere that sells a 32 ford 3 window body or similar, did contact e-deuce but had no reply.

looking forward to see more.

Mike Gradis who sell the 32 takes the time to open the mailbox and it´s till summer and BBQ´s outside so send him an email again,I did and get the answer and a five window coupe

good luck

Larsa