Model Cars Magazine Forum

WILDWOOD

GrandpaMcGurk

That motor looks great, Don. There's nothing cheap about our hobby. As you know, i scratch build everything. You would think that would be cheap, but it still cost me around $180 for each race car I build. That's just styrene, bolts, tubing, glue, paint, etc.It takes a little over a month to finish one and then I'm spending that again to start a new project. Man; I shutter to think about how much I could be spending if these were the real deal. $180 wouldn't even buy a tire. I still can't wait to see how you do the headers, once the motor is mounted in the frame.

Yeah the headers are going to be interesting Ken. I'll bend 'em up once I get this engine set in the frame.

They will have to be different for each side as I have to clear the steering shaft on the drivers side and keep everything under the hood & fenders.

I'd like to do equal length "tuned" pipes feeding into collectors but that will depend on the space I have to work in. I'm also considering side pipes set into the rocker panels.

Have to play it by ear 'til I get a roller set-up.

BTW.....180 bucks may be a little optimistic for your "wing" car.......it's got all that extra material for the spoiler......hee, hee.

Some of you eagle eyed guys may have noticed that there isn't a very deep oil pan and no dip stick on this engine.

That's because there isn't one......it'll have a separate oil reservoir and external oil lines, cooler & filters.

I'll probably be using disc brakes on all four corners..so here's a quick sketch showing how I'm going to deal with the hand brake.

Awildhandbrake001.jpg

A stock '41 Willys has a 104" wheelbase.....I've set this model chassis at 14", that should scale out to around 112".

I dug through the TDR parts box & came up with a front clip that's wider than the one on the previous mock-up.

Now the width will be where I want it without having to use spacers or reversed rims.

Awildarms002.jpg

Awildarms004.jpg

Awildarms006.jpg

Awildarms008.jpg

Awildarms009.jpg

• 1 month later...