Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was inspired by Basher on the 4wd build going on right now so last night I dug this out. Cleaned the body up. Sanded the moldings off the side and puttied. Sanded the rest of the body down with 600 grit to pre-pair for primer. Will sand the putty and prime tomorrow. Gona be a pretty straight forward build. I bought a die-cast open tandem trailer that needs something to pull it!

DSC00947-vi.jpg

DSC00948-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking.

LOL! You got that right about those moldings! And yes, those badges are LOUD AND CLEAR! Even after primer. They will hold up to the painting too. I'm gona BMF them before color coat.

Here's a pic of the kit

boxtopth-vi.jpg

Sorry its so small, pulled it off google.

Making some progress!!! Got it primered, wheels package picked out, and stance set. Now its starting to look like a truck!!

Still have to glaze over some spots and smooth, and then............................ PAINT! We are picking up momentum!

DSC01094-vi.jpg

DSC01095-vi.jpg

DSC01096-vi.jpg

I been chipping away at it. Gona add the final base coat tomorrow. Then all I'll have to do is clear and polish! Added BMF to badges and door/tail gate handles before painting the black. Weathered the chassis.

DSC01098-vi.jpg

DSC01117-vi.jpg

DSC01105-vi.jpg

DSC01121-vi.jpg

Thats all the pics I have for now. Started the engine and interior as well. Will post pics when finished building.

Hey Bill, that's looking great. Love the colors. When I saw your first step of weathering, I thought that looks like the underside of my 1:1. After seeing the completed weathering, yours is in much better shape than my truck. Your weathering looks real, tho, keep it going!

Thanks for the comments and interest guys! The weathering was a blast and very easy to do. I highly recommend giving it a try. This was my first attempt at it. I learned that I didn't use enough salt and put the black paint down too heavy. Just some things to think about if your going to attempt this if you haven't already.

I had some trouble getting the salt off cause of too much paint.

I finished all base colors. However I ran into a problem. When pulled the tape off after painting the blue, the tape left its texture in the black paint. So I clear coated just the tailgate. It came out shiny it just looks like its orange peeled. Going to polish it and see how it turns out. If it smooths out I can carry on with the rest of the truck. If this doesn't work I'll have no choice but to send it to the awful strip tank.

Here's pics of how it sits now

DSC01129-vi.jpg

DSC01131-vi.jpg

Will let you know how it turns out.

Here's the pics of the tailgate. While its not my best, nor a show piece, I'm pretty happy with it and think its salvageable.

Pic after clear coat and before polishing. I added a little sneak peek of the engine as well

DSC01140-vi.jpg

And after polishing

DSC01144-vi.jpg

Not too hateful. Going to move forward!!

I almost thought I had a twenty dollar mistake B)

It's looking good Bill,hope you can salvage the rest of the paint. I've been having paint issues of my own on a project and it's definitely frustrating. One suggestion concerning this kit I will make is when you get ready to put the firewall in,move it back as far as possible. Otherwise, it will cover about half of your engine. The firewall should be behind the cowl just a little.

Thanks for the tip Rodger. I hadn't gotten that far yet. I will address the situation. I have a F150 myself and have been going off of it. My truck is a 96 and I'm thinking this kit is 94-95ish. Still pretty close. I originally bought the kit to build a replica of my truck however mine is a extended cab. After seeing Hugh's build I couldn't wait to build one and didn't want to go through the mods right now. Oh, but I will build mine! Oh yes, I will build mine!

I cleared the body this afternoon. Its in the cooker right now at 125 degrees. I will pull it out later tonight and start polishing! Its Friday and modeling will happen!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

MAN!!! I just had to call a couple friends over to help me dig up and pull this thread out! I know its been awhile but modeling had to go to the side for a bit. However I'm back to it and back to this one here. I got the interior finished and the engine done as well. Still have some final touches of weathering to do to engine and chassis but will get to that come final assembly.

DSC06575-vi.jpgDSC06576-vi.jpgDSC06582-vi.jpgDSC06583-vi.jpg

Thanks guys to all those that have been following along and for your comments as well. This one is certainly rounding completion and these will prolly be my last WIP Pics. I only have a few more things to paint up and install and then its one more round of weathering to tie everything together. Also going to try the baking soda process that guys are using for interiors to put in a spray in bed liner. Hope to be done with this truck at weeks end. Enjoy and thanks again.

DSC06590-vi.jpgDSC06594-vi.jpgDSC06595-vi.jpgDSC06598-vi.jpgDSC06599-vi.jpg

Also going to try the baking soda process that guys are using for interiors to put in a spray in bed liner.

I don't know how well the baking soda would work for a spray in bedliner. It works great for carpet I know. You may want to do a test before you commit to doing on your bed. Something I think would work would be to add some baking soda in the paint and airbrush it on. Might work,might not. I'm going to give it a try the next time I have my airbrush out just to see if it will work.