Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 Fleetline Chevy Pickup Laying frame

Not sure how far I will go with this one but I felt I definitely needed a break from the drag cars. Unfortunately my Panella willys will be on the back burner for a bit.

I have always liked the look of the early 60's chevy truck and I really like the lowered look and fab skills it takes to get one of these trucks to sit so low

I do plan on putting bags on this one and I'm looking for a set with the tanks from the AMT wagon rod (hint hint). Well on to the pics

a3b28cb7.jpg

9f5dd513.jpg

4e1d597e.jpg

664a81a0.jpg

e59ba600.jpg

I have removed all the from suspension and plan on putting in a raised crossmember from the likes of Porterbuilt etc. I have already C'ed the frame in the back and cut the floor but as you can see the floor will have to be raised..

Small start but comments are always welcome..

Edited by Fuel Coupe

very cool project B)

i started a similar project a few years back but stalled when i couldn't find a stock grille and hood vents

Dave, I believe Modelhaus makes replacement stock parts for the AMT 1960 Truck. I have a set in my stash.

Ditto on the cool project. I love lowered classic trucks!

Edited by Nate

Modelhaus' parts may not fit this modern tool Phantom 'Cameo' shortbox Fleetside.

His are from the Original Promo/Annual Longbox.

Why did Both AMT & Rev tool these 60 & 64/5 Shortbox Fleetsides, Give us such great

detail through-out, and Scrimp on the bed giving us a one-piece Cameo type box instead

of a correct Fleetside box??

I used a spare Rev box to correct both. I need to Find the AMT 60 though!

Not sure where I hid it.

Quick question, Does replicas and minitures of Maryland offer any speed parts for the inliner that comes in the 60 fleetline?

dont know about minitures of maryland but there is street machine version of this truck that had i think a turbo for the inline 6 in it. I have one just have to find it when I find it I can take some pics of the parts that came in the kit if you would like.

btw good start I just finished one of these up a couple months ago here a link to the pics

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50717&hl=slammed&fromsearch=1

Heres the rear suspension minus the rear bags and the track bar. I flipped the trailing arm mount to gain a little more gound clearance. I scratch built the trailing arms and the bag mounts. Im looking for the front suspension from a wagon rod by AMT.

eea6355b.jpg

fb3e7b77.jpg

da0a9ad0.jpg

Edited by Fuel Coupe

Shane, you mentioned that you don't plan to use the stock wheels, so I have a suggestion; you might want to use the final wheel/tire combo to mock-up your suspensions. As the rear suspension currently sits, you might have some problems if you decide to go with a wider wheel/tire combo.

Another question, what type of airbags do you plan to use, bag-over shock like Air Ride Tech's Shockwaves or a separate bag and shock? Just curious...

Modelhaus' parts may not fit this modern tool Phantom 'Cameo' shortbox Fleetside.

His are from the Original Promo/Annual Longbox.

Why did Both AMT & Rev tool these 60 & 64/5 Shortbox Fleetsides, Give us such great

detail through-out, and Scrimp on the bed giving us a one-piece Cameo type box instead

of a correct Fleetside box??

I used a spare Rev box to correct both. I need to Find the AMT 60 though!

Not sure where I hid it.

What's incorrect about the beds? They don't look anything like Cameo beds to me.

the custom version of the kit comes with a fuel injection set-up for the 6, but no turbo.

have you considered using the front suspension from a Nascar kit? pretty easy to "clip" those onto a lot of other frames and get a nice drop in the process. you should be able to add some air bag detail to those pretty easily too

I have been looking at this set up for at least the control arms. Ive been working on a version of the Porterbuilt front crossmember and I may try some nascar arms..

Shane, you mentioned that you don't plan to use the stock wheels, so I have a suggestion; you might want to use the final wheel/tire combo to mock-up your suspensions. As the rear suspension currently sits, you might have some problems if you decide to go with a wider wheel/tire combo.

Another question, what type of airbags do you plan to use, bag-over shock like Air Ride Tech's Shockwaves or a separate bag and shock? Just curious...

Actually what I said was I planned on using the stock wells and NOT using bigger wheels as Tom Staples commented that it looked like I had over cut the wheel wells, But thanks for looking out for me

The "plan" is a seperate shock from bag.

Edited by Fuel Coupe

the custom version of the kit comes with a fuel injection set-up for the 6, but no turbo.

have you considered using the front suspension from a Nascar kit? pretty easy to "clip" those onto a lot of other frames and get a nice drop in the process. you should be able to add some air bag detail to those pretty easily too

I used the nascar front on mine and it will almost lay frame on this kit with that suspension

here's the latest on the 60,

I used you guys advice on the nascar suspension and its working out perfectly.

Basing my crossmember on a Porterbuilt unit I was able to get the arms from a nascar kit to to work and was able to get the frame to set down on the ground nicely. I wound up angling the lower control arm ball joint area to compensate for the extreme balljoint angle.

I also took the stock truck spindles and put a scale 3" drop on those.

Heres a few pics of the front roughed in.

8f278eda.jpg

9c89e94d.jpg

22e71e07.jpg

Edited by Fuel Coupe

Hope I'm not boring you guys.

Here's a small update.

I decided to cut all of the bed floor out and raise the entire floor later. I added rack and pinion steering made a battery mount for the bed. I am using the inliner with a late model 6 speed. You can also see where I raised the upper control mounts thus allowing the frame to lay out. Things may be on hold for a while as I made an order with RMoM and Norm told me it would be a couple of months before my order wasw processed. Ive always heard he is very prompt but I didnt know if this normal..

Anyway here's the pics

7ac2d5d0.jpg

fea994f6.jpg

9dd41949.jpg

464c5970.jpg

be1db6fa.jpg