Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st annual demo derby cb

For the most part the demo derbies near me mainly used full size cars. There was never a shortage of beat to death LTDs, Impalas, Caddys, Lincolns and full size Mopars. I never paid for a car, someone always was willing to donate one to me just to see or know it was destroyed. You really didn't want to go out there in anything smaller. Cars as large as Dusters or Novas were small in the demo. At Wall Stadium the cars battled in a field designated by telephone poles laid around the perimeter, so there were no straight aways where you could get up speed. All the hits were done at a fairly low speed, and a hit between two cars of the same size just gave you a jolt you were prepared for. When a Lincoln hit a Nova, the Nova would spin around, and that's the kinda action where you could get hurt, sprain your neck or back.

The smallest car I ever used was a 1973 Cougar. It didn't run well so it didn't last long. It was a donation and a hard luck car for the owner. So he was glad to see it destroyed. I did pull off all the usable trim etc, and it went to a Cougar guy.

I did see a lot of interesting cars destroyed. This was back in the early 1980s and I remember a '56 Plymouth, a low mile '60 Dodge and a '65 Thunderbird just off the top of my head. I have a ton of pictures in albums that I should scan and post on my Fotki page. The usual story with these was that the guy had the car and had tried to sell it for a long time with no takers. So it eventually wound up at the demo. I know how that goes, I had a '63 Studebaker project car that I tried to sell for a year. In the end, I wound up parting it out for 3 times what I couldn't sell the whole car for!

MVC004S-vi.jpg

Here's the Cougar pre-battle. The KILL RUSSIA was the week that the Russians had shot down a Korean airliner that had strayed into their airspace. The Cougar didn't run well at all and in the perfect location. Sideways, right in front of the stands. We got the People's Choice award. I have all the parts in the box to build this one someday.

Outlaw derbys sound dangerous. People get hurt when vehicles of different sizes collide.

Right, saw a guy in Belvidere Illinois running a Maverick with the Caddies. Maverick took one hit to the passenger side door/quarter area, ripped the car completly in two right accross the back of the seat!!!

Its funny how much the demos are in different places, i see on some of these models that they have roll cages, around here if u show up with any kind of cage you cant run, also welding anything on it you cant run, my wifes family has been running dems f since the 50s

O but the outlaw derbys are awsome ive see. Cars collide so hard it flipped a car on its top and another car ran right on top another but when u derby getting hurt is a chance u take everything from whiplash to broken bones. Its part of the rush my buddies who have ran compact and fullside said the compacts hurt worse because they can get speed across the track as fast as 45 in reverse

O but the outlaw derbys are awsome ive see. Cars collide so hard it flipped a car on its top and another car ran right on top another but when u derby getting hurt is a chance u take everything from whiplash to broken bones. Its part of the rush my buddies who have ran compact and fullside said the compacts hurt worse because they can get speed across the track as fast as 45 in reverse

I know I wouldn't want to drive in that! At Wall Stadium in New Jersey, the cars are all in an area the size of maybe a football field outlined by telephone poles (laying on their sides) to define the space. Once down in the rink, everyone goes nose to the edge of the rink (against the poles) and tail facing inward. At the horn, everyone backs out into one big collision. From there everyone can drive anywhere in the rink. Cars get hung up on the poles. So you have a few ways to get cars out. Hit them in the nose, taking out the radiator, hit them directly into a wheel, either breaking their front suspension, or getting the drive wheels stuck inside the fender so their tire shreds, or you smack them up onto the poles. You never, ever hit a drivers side door. In this derby, nobody really gets over 20 mph so it's good clean fun. The only time I ever saw anyone hurt was when a guy fell off his trunk lid while exiting the car through the rear window! He broke his wrist.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Kerry, used Polly Scale finishes weathering kit (for weathering train cars.) The color was "Mud." There is also "Dirt", "Dust", "Grease", "Oil", and "Rust" in the kit.

I love that set and have gone through several of them over the years!

MVC006F-1-vi.jpg

Here's the Poly S 'Mud' color The splash was done by flicking it with an old toothbrush.

Looks kool Tom, thanks for the pic looks good!!!! I thought of using actual dirt/mud but then came the thought waht happens when it dries? It'll flake off.... Then it was like ok what now. Then I see this and think hey!!!!!

Ya lost yet???? LOL

• 2 weeks later...