Model Cars Magazine Forum

Contest models that got skunked - show 'em!

Jantrix

I agree that the names should not be shown also . However , the secret is that there are no secrets .... Someone knows whose builds belong to what builder and word spreads like wildfire amongst the brethren . Also , builders who have a certain style will have their models easily recognized as to whom they belong to .

Wow! Some great looking models posted here! I have to agree with Rob...."don't get PO'd" if you get overlooked. I took like a 36 year hiatus from building model cars and got back into it in 2008. Entered a contest in 2011 with the second model I built in 2010 and beat out about 20 other street rods to take first place with a '32 chopped Ford! I was actually walking away when it was announced. As I turned around I actually said, "you gotta be kidding". Now granted it was an NNL, and it was not a judged event, but it was chosen by other builders, and that in itself was a huge plus. To be picked by your peers, and I don't know any of these guys, well.....a very good feeling. The same car did take a second at a judged event. As well as a Memorial award, but to be honest. Praise from your own carries a lot of weight.

On the other hand. The pictures here are of an original AMT '64 Mustang that a friend had found in his garage and gave it to me. Painted a "god awful", christmas ornament metallic green. With a paint brush no less, and a candy apple chasis (?). Luckily it had not been built. "Thanks" ( I think). It promptly went back in the box and onto the shelf. I bought a set of Studio 81 wheels for stock and thought that they would look good on the Mustang. So I stripped the paint, and went to town. Too many things to list, but to give you an idea.The stock kit interior has six pieces including the tub. I used fifty-three pieces to create what you see here.

Took it to a judged event......not even a look from the judges. No big deal......build for yourself, and if you take it to a contest, and it wins....that's a plus. What matters most is....do you like it?

64%20Mustang%2011-29-14%20W%20005_zps7ja

64%20Mustang%2011-29-14%20W%20020_zpskrq

64%20Mustang%20B%2011-29-14%20007_zpsrpw

64%20Mustang%2011-29-14%20G%20003_zpsvkt