Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone Knows Tkm Models

as previously stated, TKM is some hard stuff to work with. here is an sts that I picked up to replicate my real one. I Marked out all of the lines that needed straightening/correcting. the roof was warped really badly, I ended up filling the inner roof with JB weld, and placing pressure on it until it hardedned so that i was able to reshape the roof.

- roof was sagging, and very very thin

-front grille is bent, and is wrong(should be straight vertical, not sloped)

-body was warped

-lines/mouldings were sloppy

-wheel wells were a bit incorrect

-roofline is wrong

-rear window is too "bubbly"

-overall the whole thing is off,

here are the pictures.

DSCF5764.jpg

DSCF5766.jpg

here is the real car that I hope to be able to replicate.

bag.jpg

I also have a TKM 94 eldorado which is in storage, as I will NEVER build it, it will require way too much work to make correct.

There seems to be one thing in common when all of these various threads regarding resin casters are read: People get very emotional and opinionated when they see someone come "awfully close" as a caster. Especially when they cast a superb item, market very well, then half their orders won't get filled, or they have top notch customer service, people are in line for what they cast but the product looks like a sea urchin that's been hit by a train. To be great as a resin caster you need 3 things: A quality product, fast shipping, and good marketing. There are so few that have all 3, and that is what people see over and over again. As far as I'm concerned there were 3 greats: AAM (defunct and probably the best there ever was), Modelhaus, and AITM trucks. Study them. TKM is probably closer to being good than most think, but maybe...... he's exactly where he wants to be. He's definitely got the energy, and had decades to practice.....I don't know what else it could be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Guys! I just discovered this forum & the TKM controversy. I usd to know Tom & perhaps I can clear up some of the questions. First, he told me it all started many years ago because he wanted a model of a Pontiac that had never been made. He's a sculpture by trade, so decided to make his own. Remember, we're talking probably 40 years ago now & technology had not yet been invented in the model car world! He said it was the "I told two friends who told two friends" kind of thing when someone saw his finished model, so he agreed to cast one for him, & the rest is history. As for quality, wellll, all of his models are in fact hand sculpted, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. If you're looking for a Revell type kit, it ain't gonna happen! But as has been noted, if it's the only thing you can get, and that's always been Tom's goal, then its TKM or nothing. I've probably got 50 or more of his cars in my collection, but i look at them as a parallel to a styling "buck" from back in the day when they used to make clay mock-ups of a new car in the styling studio, and that's how I treat them. I blank out the windows, Bare-Metal the trim & add kit wheels to emulate the hubcaps of the car in question. Out of the box they look like raw chicken, but if you're willing to give'em a chance, some of them aren't all bad, however quality level does vary quite a bit, so be prepared if you order one.