Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

Make it three. I'm always rebuilding old glue bombs and I like showing off the results. My second planned entry for this build, a 1964 Corvair Monza Spyder annual, is temporarily stalled due to other committments (and one bloody hot, non air conditioned workroom!) but it's not too far from completion.

I'm going to proceed as if this thread is going to continue.

Here are my next two projects to redo. Both are Johann kits that I built more years ago than I can remember but have been sitting in a box for at least the last 15 years.

Item #1- 1968 Cadillac

This is the original paint that I put on it all those years ago. I don't think I even used primer. I have everything present and accounted for except one wheel. This will be a replica stock rebuild but I haven't decided on paint colors yet. I'm also going to take care of some little things I didn't like the first time I built the kit. And I will have to find a new set of wheels.

gallery_8811_712_73946.jpg

Item #2 - 1963 Plymouth Fury

This kit got rebuilt sometime in the early 80s with a then current street rod look. Notice the monotone paint. Yuck, what was I thinking. Plans now call for red paint and red interior just like one I saw at Pismo Beach recently. Nose down stance with big and littles to look mean. Missing the carb and air cleaner so gonna dive the parts box and see what I can find.

gallery_8811_712_148950.jpg

More to follow. Keep the faith!

• 4 weeks later...

I've managed to find a little time to work on the 63 Fury so heres an update. Everything got stripped with Easy Off and then cleaned up with soap and water before sanding to prime.

gallery_8811_712_106143.jpg

The interior was finished with Rustoleum Satin Red and detailed with Model Masters and Testors brush paints, not easy with molded in seats. I pulled a steering wheel from the parts box to replace the one I broke taking the bomb apart.

gallery_8811_712_632465.jpg

This kit originally had a solid front axle so I had to fill the hole in the engine block and then finished it off with Rustoleum Red straight from the rattle can. All other parts here are original except the carb and air cleaner which came from the parts box. I'm not going to do any wiring on this one.

gallery_8811_712_325572.jpg

Next comes the finish of the body and the paint. Im gonna use the same red as the engine. Here's a preview with the stance sorted out. This was actually taken with the chassis and suspension finished but I forgot to take a picture of it. Next time.

gallery_8811_712_500900.jpg

Hey all,

I finally borrowed a camera and took some pics...

Update on my glue bomb rebuilds

The Duesenbergs

IMG_0980.jpg

The '65 GP

The odelhaus '66 GP

More to follow......................... :)

cool, somewhere I have 1 molded in burgandy, that needs restored... also bought a "box" of CHROMED cars like these... also gluebombs.. never did anything with th em, as never fgured out what to do them as.. wonder if they are valuable?

got a gluebomb Dodge van on the workbench currently that I am redoing in the Zombie thead... will have to keep this thread in mind, after I finish (IF? <LOL>) I finish the pile of current projects on my desk.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update-

No progress on the Fury since we've had several weeks of 100+ weather I haven't been able to paint it. I did break the 68 Caddy down and run it through the paint stripper. No pics of that but I'm going to do it factory stock as a memorial to my wife's late uncle Jimmy. He was the nicest guy you could ever meet and had a pale yellow one with black interior and top that he'd had since new. Im gonna pop over to Acmes license plate site and whip up some "JIMMY" plates too. He and the car are both gone now so this will be a nice remembrance for my shelf. Gonna be something like this. 6A846E72-9E06-4E56-B2BD-18649524C58C-274-0000001E9C328F5F-1.jpg

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 2 weeks later...

Okay finally got a couple pics of the Cadi stripped. It came real clean. Maybe because I didn't use any primer the first time? Anyway the body is clean with no sink marks or body work needed. I could almost polish it up for the "Naked styrene" thread. Lol2D26DF70-9A88-4869-B0D5-802872CC94FA-541-000000258E460435.jpg

All I need to repair are both the vent window posts.

681388DC-A22E-4E26-AD9A-984E75036D20-541-000000259C7358BD.jpg

Hopefully more soon

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 2 weeks later...

Okay that's just not better!!!!

935A8928-A909-4ADF-9DDF-E4D42AA0F3C4-722-000000523A17F0EA-1.jpg

Changed the air cleaner but the hood still wouldn't sit completely flat. I thought I could coax it a little bit but this old plastic is pretty stiff. Oh well. I'll post finished pics tomorow. I've had enough for today.

Edited by jcbigpaw

• 3 weeks later...

It's good to see some of these wrecks getting a new lease of life , I like to do one from time to time , in some ways it's more rewarding than building something from a new kit , in fact I've been working on one today , a few years ago a friend of mine gave me two models he built , probably in the 80s

HMSBounty012-vi.jpg

the Buick is complete , the Camaro is missing its hood and both front wheels have snapped off . both are pretty rough and judging from the amount of glue he used , he didn't want them to fall apart any time soon :lol: , luckily he had not painted either body although the amount of paint on the interior , engine and chassis make up for that .

I've been doing some work on the Camaro today , it's a Monogram kit from the late 70s , it has a twin turbo ( 302 I think ) small block which I liked , and a jacked up rear end , side pipes and odd wheels which I didn't like

claytonsgluebombs001-vi.jpg

so I've got it pretty much pulled apart , cleaned up the body a bit , the side pipes have gone in the parts bin so I will have to make a exhaust system for it , I had another pair of front wheels n tyres in the parts bin so they're going on the now lowered rear , and I brought another incomplete gluebomb cheap off ebay a while ago for the hood , dunno what colour I'm going with yet , I'm thinking probably black .