Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody else do this?

i find i mostly use my (newly acquired and not quite comfortable with yet) airbrush for detail parts like spraying paint on tubular chassis etc, where with a spray can you cant really get a thin even coat on something intricate like that. but for most bodies i still use the rattlecan especially tamiya. its not a problem; its more like the appropriate method for what youre trying to achieve.

Like you, I have an airbrush but find myself using the rattle cans. When I built military stuff I used the airbrush a lot for camo jobs but for cars I just find rattle cans more convienent. And yes, I guess I am lazy.

Edited by Rob McKee

I am kind of addicted to my AB. I prefer it to hand painting or spray cans, although I also use both. In order: AB, can, hand. I probably use it even when it's not necessary and paint one or two small parts - wasting time and thinner to clean - but, as I said, I really like using it.

I am about 50/50 AB/cans on large parts like bodies, though.

When I get the paint out of a rattle can and use it in my air brush I sometimes ask myself, " Is this is crazy or what?" I feel I get way,way better results with the airbrush. I can get in all the cracks and crevasses. I have found that the easiest way to clean it now is put all the parts, (4, I have a Paasche single action), in a glass baby food jar with cheap lacquer thinner, shake it around, then wipe them clean, takes about 5 minutes. I use mostly Testors enamels now thinned with cheep lacquer thinner with great results. Picked that tip up off of here via Dr. Cranky and Don Yost. Love it!!!!!

Rattle cans for primer, undercoat, sometimes colour coat & sometimes clear.

Airbrush for alclad (including the black undercoat), custom colour mixes, candies, fades & fancy paint effects, 2 pack clear and it i'm putting bling into the clear.

I resisted getting an airbrush thinking i'd find the cleaning a chore but that's not the case. I'm fairly slack with the cleaning (doing only the minimum) but the only time it's clogged was due to a spider setting up home inside the tip!

And yes, thanks Don for the GP thinners with enamels tip. I now get good glossy black undercoats for alclad every time. Woohoo!

Edited by zenrat

I do own two air brushes (one a gift, the other won at a contest) and haven't used them in years. I do mainly light commercial and weathered models so I'm not concerned about mirror finishes. I use mostly automotive paint like Duplicolor in rattle cans. I get the finish I'm looking for and will spray the smallest parts, seldom brush painting anything.

I am kind of addicted to my AB. I prefer it to hand painting or spray cans, although I also use both. In order: AB, can, hand. I probably use it even when it's not necessary and paint one or two small parts - wasting time and thinner to clean - but, as I said, I really like using it.

I am about 50/50 AB/cans on large parts like bodies, though.

. Pretty much. Hate brush painting with a passion. An evvvvverything. Engines, suspensions, frames and bodies. Though for bodies and floors I use my half pint touch up gun for the wider spray pattern