Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Chevrolet Vega Funny Car

W-409

I got this one today. It's MPC Black Magic Vega FC gluebomb. This will be nicely detailed and hopefully pretty realistic model. I don't have any other parts than these on the picture, but engine is easy to get when I decide what engine I'll be using. But maybe no Keith Black's hemi this time, it just don't fit to Chevrolet. Body and other parts needs to be stripped off from paint. I'll start stripping the paint tomorrow. This is inspired by Chris Sobak's Army Vega FC. I'm not sure about the color yet, but it will be something nice...

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

That should be a good idea... Maybe I could try, I could use that original one as a model to the new one. Maybe that should be worth trying, thanks for that tip. ;) Tomorrow I look at that frame closely and maybe try my hand at building one...

Looks like fun to me Niko. I think putting in a Chevy motor is a great idea. The only reason to put a hemi in, is if it was a real car and you wanted to win.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. There's no way I could pass that up. I tried, I really did.

Seriously, It would be refreshing to see a motor match the car brand in a funny car for a change.

Edited by Batzilla

Thanks, Andy and Joe. The color on that body is........ :unsure: ....Something... It seems to be painted with a brush, but I don't know what color is it actually. Well, let it go, I'm going to strip the paint off from it. That shade of the color looks pretty good anyway, but I have something else in my mind...

Yeah, Chevy engine should be something different, and if you want to win, it must be Chevy. :lol: :lol: Keith Black Hemi is great motor too, but as Chevrolet fan, I'd like to go with 454 BigBlock. And blower, of course.

Thanks, Doctor! I'm going to try making that orignal frame better before I might start building another one. Maybe if that frame turns out good, then I don't have to build other one. But let's see, now I'm starting to strip the paint.

Thanks, Andy and Joe. The color on that body is........ :unsure: ....Something... It seems to be painted with a brush, but I don't know what color is it actually. Well, let it go, I'm going to strip the paint off from it. That shade of the color looks pretty good anyway, but I have something else in my mind...

:lol:

Still looks like Fiery Orange... :D

Niko.... Nice project car. That is cool my Vega Funny car has inspred you for this build. Feel free to use any of the idea's I have done so far with my build. If you need any pics let me know I have some pics of the Army Vega funny car, updated Pisano & Masturbara and a couple other various ones I found on the internet. just let me know and would be more than happy to send. This is going to be a great project to follow. Can't wait to see what you have in store for it.

Well, parts are now at the paint stripper, hope to have them without paint soon. Chris, it would be great to see some pictures, if it's not too hard to send them... Where would you like to send them? Here, e-mail, PM?

Well, parts are now at the paint stripper, hope to have them without paint soon. Chris, it would be great to see some pictures, if it's not too hard to send them... Where would you like to send them? Here, e-mail, PM?

Niko... It won't be a problem at all to send them to you. It maybe easier to send them to you thru e-mail since I have about 45 pics of the army car and 5 of the Pisano, and a few other random ones I found when I was searching for pics for my Vega.

Great thanks to Chris who sent me the pictures, they really help, thanks alot! Now I have first two parts without paint. I must clean up them a bit. Body is almost without paint from the underside, that copper paint is still on. But not too long, hopefully.

PA074254.jpg

Niko... Looking good man. I am going to be redoing the side tins on my funny car this weekend or at lease get started on them and will post pics how I do it. My plan was to take some 3x5 note cards and make templates and then either do them from thin metal or plastic i have an idea that I want to try with metal to get some raised ares looking like it was rolled with a bead roller.

It would be great idea to make those from aluminium. Chris, those pictures would be great. I must get some 1/24 scale bolts, photoetch, of course. Maybe scratchbuilding them is bit hard... Thanks, Both!

Alright... Thinking about tire choice. I've ran out of Fairy Power Spray, which I'm using for stripping the paint, so now the body is waiting for a new bottle of it. Maybe monday I can get one bottle.... Well, rear slicks are something, I got today and they look good. I'm going to fit them inside this body. But front tires are bit tricky. I have three possible choices. Maybe Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires from AMT '70 Super Bee Pro Street, or then Good Year Frontrunner tires. One possible choice could also be those tires on the last picture. Those are installed to Pontiac Firebird FC which needs to be painted again. I'll be using some of those three for this build.

PA080085.jpg

PA080086.jpg

PA080088.jpg

Thanks, Derrick! Today it's time to cast few engines, I hope I can get a good one for this. Chevy 454 Big Block of course. Body is still at the stripper, because I ran out of Power Spray, but today I'm going to pick up a new bottle of it.

I haven't cast any good engines yet, everyone of them went wrong. Maybe next time.... But frame is now without paint, also those other two parts are without paint. Hopefully I can continue this one soon and hope I can make bigger progress.

PA180220.jpg

PA180221.jpg

PA180223.jpg

PA180222.jpg

Thanks, Chris! The body isn't ready yet, but while waiting it, I started making that frame more realistic. I used file and sandpaper. First I smoothed that mold seam from the "wrong side" of that frame. Then I moved on... Picture 3 shows, that frame tubes are not round... So carefully with file and sandpaper, I started making those tubes round.. It turned out pretty good, I think. Well, they are better that the original ones. I'm not ready yet, only this side, what picture 4 shows, is pretty much ready but it needs some cleaning too. I'm going to continue today, hopefully I can get that frame primered soon and then I can see if there are lots of things to fix.

First picture of that mold seam, needs to be removed.... Second picture shows, that it's removed.

PA210234.jpg

PA210235.jpg

And then, original frame, not round at all...

PA210236.jpg

And this picture shows, where I'm right now.

PA210238.jpg

As I said, still some work to do with that frame, but gettin' started.

Niko... the frame is off to a good start. I know cleaning the frame up by removing the mold line is time consuming. Trust me the first few nights when I first started my Vega F/C it felt like thats all I did, but totally worth it in the end. Keep up the great work.