Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old dog struggeling to learn new tricks

I finally fought my way through all the cyber loopholes it seems to take to do anyything on a computer these days and got signed up.Thanks for all the guidance and help from younger friends(and grandchildren)that helped me get going!

My name is Tom Woodruff.I am 71,married for almost 50 years to and amazing woman who is also my best friend,and have been modeling since the 1950's.

I have built a lot of models over the decades mostly hot rods and customs.This common hobby we all have has brought me some of my most treasured friends and associates.I have participated in a few contests in my younger years and through that venue met some really great people that I now count among lifetime best friends.

I took a 20 year break from all modeling while recovering from the tragic loss of a child and now after retiring 3 years ago have started building again.A friend recommended this site to me as a way to see what's happening in the modeling world and it has been eye opening to say the least.

I have not been totally removed from modeling all those years as I was lucky enough to be involved with the founding of the NNL in 1980 in my garage here in Jackson Center,ohio.

I have finally gotten some photos onto a photo sharing site and am trying to get that file posted here to show the result of my first ever diorama.I found all of the techniques on line and here on this site so it has had a very positive effect for me.If you're intrested look for my 1925 Indian Gasoline station building.Thanks!!

Sorry for your loss Tom....really glad your here with us were all addicted to plastic here...you will fit in nicely.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.Now how so I post my album into the diorama section?I can't figure that out either.I don't konw why someone doesn't simply put up a link that says"click here for instructions to post your photos".Maybe there is is one and simply don't know where it is ot how to use it!I spent a lot of hours getting the pictures on Fotki and being sure the captions were all correct.

Welcome to the site of sites, Tom ... it's good to see such a familiar name here. :)

It's not the address from your browser but a link that is usually generated by the photo site and is usually a simple click or copy from there. What photo site did you join? ... and I'm sure detailed help will suddenly appear here from this great membership! Once you do the mechanics it will be as easy as chopping a '32 Ford.

I actually have thought about that brass placque thing!However since that happened we have remodeled our house and actual physical location of that event would now be in the middle of out living room floor.I brought it up but got"the look"from you know who.End of a really great idea I'm pretty sure.

I tried copying and pasting and am now getting another lovely message telling me"you must leave a post".What post?I didn't see any post!one more cyber booby trap to aviod It seems.Why does this have to be so complicated?Doesn't matter though,I'm too dumb to give up.

WELCOME to the forum Tom and back to the hobby, as a father of two and a grandfather of three I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through, and I'm truly sorry for your loss. There are some wonderful, caring people here on this forum, and as far as the myth goes about teaching old dogs new tricks DON'T believe it, it ain't so, besides you ain't old you're just starting the second childhood phase!!!! Glad you're here, ENJOY yourself!! ;):)

Welcome Tom! To the familiar smell of plastic, paint, decal set, and future floor polish. I hope we can help you in any way you need. There's always an ear laying around in here, and if not someone here could build one in a jiffy. I look forward to going and checking out your work!

Thanks Amanda.I appreciate the welcome and I love your avatar!Looks like carved shell of some sort.

The whole computer age has me befuddled.I think I may technophoblc if there is such a thing.I grew up in that age before TV,computers,cell phones,etc,still type with 2 fingers(when I was in high school typing class was for girls),and don't own a cell phone.Dinosaur?Maybe.Worried about it?Nope!!

Welcome to the site! Send me the links and I'll try to post them best I can. Sure you probably don't want to hear this but I use Photo bucket and it is super simple. After you upload the picture to the photobucket site. there will be 4 links on the right side of the photo. one is the IMG link also known as the image link. All you have to do is left click on that link with your mouse and it automatically copies. Then come to this site and right click and paste and your pic is there :)

www.photobucket.com

register to the site using your E-mail. Then you'll need to go to your E-mail to verify. Go back to the photobucket site, sign in and click where it says upload pictures/video. Select the photo file by double clicking it and it will automatically start the upload. once the upload is done, look to the left for your IMG Link and left click it and then come here and post it by right clicking and paste into the letter box just like your typing. If it asks to allow say yes..

Edited by RadialDragon