Model Cars Magazine Forum

49' Mercury Speedster.. It's Done 5/4/13

BKcustoms

I was looking at some pics of the Imperial Speedster built by Murray Pfaff a few years back (He took a 59 Chrysler Imperial 4 door and cut it down into a 2 door roadster) I started to wonder what other cars that idea could work on. So I picked up a revell 49 Mercury and after cutting most of the quarter panel out between the doors and rear wheel openings and removing the roof I've ended up with a 49' Merc that's about the same size as a first gen corvette. The plan is to make it look like the body it's bare aluminum and I'm thinking about a sheet metal interior with bomber seats. Anyway, heres the pictures..

100_2752.jpg

100_2749.jpg

100_2753.jpg

100_2755.jpg

100_2740.jpg

BTW a big thanks to plowboy for the wheels!

Let me know what you think, Billy

Edited by BKcustoms

Cool Merc. The Pfaff car had a ton of work done to it, I personally think it would make a great looking model, but I'm not too crazy about it as a 1:1. Not that I don't respect the insane amount of work!

I'm sure you found some pics but these from HOTROD magazine would probably help alot if you're still looking.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1107_1959_chrysler_imperial_speedster/viewall.html

Tremendous execution of a great vision.Beautiful balance.Great work.

To me the proportions on this model Merc are much more pleasing to the eye than the Imperial.

It thankfully doesn't have that 'custom golf cart' look that a lot of shortened cars exhibit.

Is this top from the 'Smoothster' ?

This is very cool! It reminds me of a Porsche 550.

I was thinking Porsche also, reminds me of a 356 Coupe or even a Speedster. I really like the proportions of the body after the horizontal section, you got it right. I also liked the well planned approach to the section could have been disasterous without it, (good job there too).

I am not much of a wire wheel fan so they really don't trip my trigger, something else that might work if you were to change would be some sort of reversed wheel in the same diameter. How about some really big Sombrero wheel covers?!?! (Just my thoughts, this isn't build by committee I hope! :lol: )