Model Cars Magazine Forum

Take out half a sheet of paper, number it 1 through 13 . Put your name at the top. Science Quiz

Greg Myers

Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

See below how your results compare with the 1,006 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "Public's Knowledge of Science and Technology."
You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.
Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Showoff.

Just kidding.

Probably an element of showoff in there. If so, I apologize. B)

But honestly, one of my primary concerns is about the state of this country's general scientific ignorance. You guys are doing well above average, and that's a good thing.

That's why I posted the page results with the link to an important article about science and education.

If you don't understand why the lights come on when you flip the switch, or the fact that overuse of antibiotic soaps is causing antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria to evolve and make people in hospitals sicker (sometimes die), or how the spinoffs from the space program have benefited mankind as a whole, or what the operational theories are on both sides of the global-warming controversy, or how various forms of energy are produced...if you don't have sufficient understanding of science to grasp these relatively simple concepts, you have no business voting.

We live in an age where a well-informed science-savvy populace is a critical necessity for policies that make rational sense to be implemented by government, and for representatives who are themselves informed and rational to be elected.

Topic disclaimer: I believe my remarks to be in the "civics" vein, not the forbidden "politics". ;)

Probably an element of showoff in there. If so, I apologize. B)

But honestly, one of my primary concerns is about the state of this country's general scientific ignorance. You guys are doing well above average, and that's a good thing.

That's why I posted the page results with the link to an important article about science and education.

If you don't understand why the lights come on when you flip the switch, or the fact that overuse of antibiotic soaps is causing antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria to evolve and make people in hospitals sicker (sometimes die), or how the spinoffs from the space program have benefited mankind as a whole, or what the operational theories are on both sides of the global-warming controversy, or how various forms of energy are produced...if you don't have sufficient understanding of science to grasp these relatively simple concepts, you have no business voting.

We live in an age where a well-informed science-savvy populace is a critical necessity for policies that make rational sense to be implemented by government, and for representatives who are themselves informed and rational to be elected.

Topic disclaimer: I believe my remarks to be in the "civics" vein, not the forbidden "politics". ;)

I agree with everything you've said here, above. Working the education field I work very hard at trying to turn out knowledgeable and wise children for the future. And in general, I think we'll be okay.

Scott

Same one I missed. I thought the answer was hydrogen.

I missed that one and the one about solar radiation.

You answered 11 of 13 questions correctly.

You scored better than 75% of the public, below 15% and the same as 10%.

Edited by Monty

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.
Got them all, even though one was more political than scientific. But I knew the answer they wanted, even though it's an opinion, not necessarily a fact.