Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '50 Chevy Pickup - Doctor Cranky's All-Time Favorite Kit Is Getting Re-Released

We will buy a whole bunch, but I am wondering if anyone else further information on what would be "new" about the kit, other than the decals, etc . . . does anybody have more information on this one?

When Wally World used to sell them for 8.99 I bought an whole bunch, but now my stash is way low. I'd love to see the street version of this come out with a retooled suspension, etc . . .

Here's what the ad says:

* Scale: 1/25

* Skill Level: 2 (ages 10 and up)

* Glue assembly, paint required

* Molded in white, plus clear and chrome parts with black vinyl tires

o Modern generation kit engineering

o Deluxe retro packaging with optional parts

o Retro styled packaging licensed by Chevron/Texaco

I am excited about what this "modern generation kit engineering" could be.

Hopefully we will see some new parts, especially that barn door front bumper. But no matter what, this is a great little kit and has been a modeler's favorite since its introduction in 1994. Shawn Carpenter has a 1950 GMC conversion for this, and I remember more than one resin caster has a van/delivery body for this kit. 1954 cab conversions were available from All American Models and F&F Resin Casting, but sadly both are now out of production (hey resin casters! Here is an opportunity!!!)

What I would personally LOVE to see is a resin ice cream truck conversion, including those all too prominent Good Humor or Bungalow Bar decals! What do you guys think?

Edited by larrygre

The push bumper was NOT in the 2000 release of the 3100 so at least that will be added or readded to the kit. If they are adding that maybe we will see a few extra parts too. I will be picking one up and if it has some cool additions the old release doesn't have I might get more than one.

2-Actual 1/1 station plans:

TexacoPlans6.jpg

:)

Thanks for posting. A fun little note - The men's room has interior access and the womens restroom is accessed only from the outside. They would never be allowed to be built like that today, lol. They would be sued to fast, lol.

Edited by ra7c7er

Hopefully we will see some new parts, especially that barn door front bumper. But no matter what, this is a great little kit and has been a modeler's favorite since its introduction in 1994. Shawn Carpenter has a 1950 GMC conversion for this, and I remember more than one resin caster has a van/delivery body for this kit. 1954 cab conversions were available from All American Models and F&F Resin Casting, but sadly both are now out of production (hey resin casters! Here is an opportunity!!!)

What I would personally LOVE to see is a resin ice cream truck conversion, including those all too prominent Good Humor or Bungalow Bar decals! What do you guys think?

Yep I also woud love to see an ice cream truck conversion. Drop a blown motor in it......Good Zumor......todays spececial.....225 MPH!!!!!

I bought the Texaco station a few years back for $20, opened, but complete. (And no, mine's not for sale or trade, either. B) )

The only gripe I have about the '50 Chevy kit is the rear cab corner piece- because of the way the cab is undecut, this piece has to be added after the interior is inserted, leaving a nasty gap that does not exist on the 1:1 truck. I have, in the past, added this piece, blended it into the body, and did a little heavy-handed trimming to fit the interior. Kind of cave-man, but it works.

This is one of my all-time favorites as well. I'm excited to see what the decals look like, not to mention the push bumper that is shown in the box art, which is killer by the way. I wonder if they'll print the whitewalls like they did in the newest issue of the 55 Vette.

• 2 weeks later...