Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Speedstar Coupe Retro Dry Lakes Style

BHarrison

This is a build meant to look like taking a current Speedstar Body and going retro with Muroc Drylakes styling cues. It is going to be Ford Washington Blue and has bomber seats and aluminum trim inside. It has machined trailing arms, brake drums to look like a modern slicked down billet verision of Buick drums, aluminum dropped axle with coil overs on all four corners, and may or may not use the front bumper pictured.

EarlyMockupSpeedstar.jpg33LakesCoupeFrontSuspensionMockUp.jpgSpeedStarTrailingFront.jpg33LakesFrontBumper.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice so far. I agree about the stance and the cool wheels. B):) What is the body you are using as the basis? It doesn't look like the Flintstone Bonneville racer you used on you earlier (and very nice) blue, flamed Alloway style build.

Thanks Bernard. Its a Flintstone body also but its the tracknosed version. Since Alloway's used the Speedstar cabin area for the tracknosed coupe as well as the regular Speedstar, it made it very convenient that FLintstone had a tracknosed verison also. The front wheels are the 32 Roadster wheels in the RM kit and the rear are Pegasus Hellas in a hoop I had machined by MAS to mate them with the tires from the Escalade kit. I wanted a taller skinnier tire to help pull off the lakes look a little better.

I'll watch this one also. I'm curious about the chassis build.

There is no chassis. Its a curbside with full interior detail and alot of aluminum on the exposed suspension parts.

Here are the tailights for the coupe. Pretty much the same as the Vicky build I am working on. I like these because it leaves the decklid area smooth and I have found some cool lenses that work well with these tailights. In 1:1 everybody shortens the stands on 37 Ford tailights or uses 37 Chevy tailights etc. to make these. I use 1/8 styrene rod and file them to shape and then sand them smooth before paint and primer. I mount them via an .020 styrene "pin" inserted halfway through the housing and located via a hole in the rear pan. They also have a cool look on a turn table as the light catches them.

IMG_20111022_054224.jpg

• 3 weeks later...